Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

there was a final where he really did dig the dubs out of a hole as a sub, v Mayo, the day they started O’Gara and needed a few subs at ht to get it on track

:grin:

What was the signifigance of the muscle top/it being a fuck you to Jim?

Yes 2017.

Eoghan O’Gara starting backfired spectacularly.

Connolly was brilliant when introduced and kept his head when all around him were losing theirs. Won the free that Dean Rock scored.

It went completely against Jim Gavin’s principle of team ethic.

It was a complete stunt from Dermo who was sulking that they were trying to win the All Ireland without him.

Isn’t Connolly a convicted thug? A pint glass or bottle in McGowans?

Not convicted iirc. He broke a fella’s jaw over some pool game

Reading up on that and it said the assault took place at 3:40am in McGowans. I wouldn’t know much about North Dublin pubs but would it be normal for them to be open at that hour?

For fuck sake.

For McGowans, yes. It operates on the same terms as Coppers

1 Like

What a score.

2 Likes

The Vincent’s mafia circled the wagons on him on that one. He made solid shite of that fella.

he wore a leitrim top before one final !

That was pre Jim and things were different then.

The muscle top was a huge statement of defiance from him.

Terrific player and a joy to watch. Every defender’s worst nightmare - apart from Lee Keegan of course

Kilkenny was a more talented hurler than footballer as was Costello. Rory o Carroll wasn’t much good at either but was still effective. As you say they all made the right decision in picking the big ball. Fighting with Get Cunningham and losing to the likes of Laois is no craic compared to winning a pile of AI medals.

1 Like

Why wouldn’t lads just keep going for the next couple months and then retire? I’m sure they’ve all being doing their individual training programmes up to now…

I’d say a lot of it is lads being cut for the championship and the retirement puts a bit of gloss on it.

2 Likes

That’s it in a nut shell…