Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

Same way when Dublin win, its only because of the money.

Has failed to deliver in their crunch games and has no ideal position despite them shipping him around. The sooner he’s removed the better they can slot the right players in.

Not nippy enough for full forward line, hasn’t scored in 6 final appearances, not mobile or athletic enough for midfield (watch him getting left for dust by his elder James McCarthy for Dublin’s opening goal in the final) and doesn’t have the creativity for half forward. Doesn’t seem to be an edge in him either re if they win or not. He seems happy to take the free cars, sponsorships and tik tok dance acclaim but not actually deliver what he’s supposed to do. There are other far more honest players leaving in the last week than him.

12 Likes

He’s never scored much for Mayo - his job isn’t to score points. His job is to win ball and use it and get it to scorers. He is a very unselfish player.

I’d love to see how many scores came off him working like a dog to win a ball and shovel it off to a man off him

3 Likes

You could turn most of that around and say he has been moved from position to position and hasn’t been allowed stay in any of them because he was needed all over the field. Even full back for fuck sake. And he’s been at least good to excellent in all of them. Can mayo afford to discard him, have they better players in every position from midfield forward? Hardly.

1 Like

Fuck him.

Shane Enright

It’s Fungie.

It shouldn’t take you too long.

Worst all star of the 10s?

Shane Enright or Ian Burke?

Which reminds me I started an all star thing off over Christmas, ah fuck it.

That bunch of Mayo players gave us the 2017 All Ireland Final, alongside the Dublin lads.

For that alone I will be grateful.

I do take @Spidey 's point on Aidan O’Shea though.

2 Likes

Ya on the off chance it backs up your dogmatic opinion of him.

Good to excellent in all of them? Really? I just don’t see it. He hasn’t improved for me since 2012 and has lost whatever pace he had. He’s nearly afraid to kick for a score now unless 25 yards out.
Dublin management and Cluxton ran him and the brother all over croke park in 2013 and they were goosed after 50 mins. They’ve had his number ever since in their crunch games.

He seems a nice fella but just don’t see what he brings to the table. The target man thing is a misnomer as teams typically have an extra man back anyway so it doesn’t mean freed up space for other forwards.

1 Like

I think if Mayo reach the stage where they can afford to use Aidan O Shea as a 20 minute impact sub they will be close to winning an All Ireland. Despite lots of good attributes he is just not physically able to last 70 minutes out the field in the modern game.

What mayo.player will retire tomorrow? And Friday

@Copper_pipe
Please set up a poll

I don’t think Horan believes in the concept of impact sub from older fellas which is why all these lads are leaving

Way to miss the point entirely. Incredible lack of awareness in that post.

Emlyn Mulligan suffers the same from some Leitrim supporters.

I always found it odd to be honest

He was also a Garda, edgy lads on the internet hate Gardai.

Or even be able to afford to take him off after 50. In fairness, it’s not just O’Shea that doesn’t last 70 for Mayo against Dublin. When Dublin are bringing on fresh players that are better than most of the starting players on your own team, it’s hard to perform at the level you did in the first half.

I think blaming O’Shea for Mayo’s woes is really unfair.

1 Like

4 Likes