Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

You’re the lad always moaning about the game being ‘gone’. Yet you’re condoning this sort of shit.

2 Likes

The game is gone. It’s been gone for a long time. But if there was a few Bob to be dug out of a Dublin club lads were as entitled to take it as any. Or a kitchen as in Paul Bealins case.

1 Like

So he was paid a ball of cash to be a disappointment to two parishes.

Some lads would come out with fish in their pockets if they fell in a river

2 Likes

As Brolly said to his face one night, he was a “fucking mercenary”.

1 Like

Bealin? Ah you wouldn’t begrudge a man a kitchen either.

1 Like

Portlaoise won that all ireland semi. Wooly captain i think.

Portlaoise lost to Kilmurry Ibrickane in 2010 when “Woolie” was spoofing around Parnells.

Portlaoise made a show of themselves attacking the ref at full time that day at the Gaelic Grounds.

2 Likes

yes but despite they keep coughing up goals in early stages of all ireland finals plus a few own goals

Ah he was very average anyway

He made up that story himself as a joke …25 years on lads still swallowing it :joy:

1 Like

Sure he did :wink:

I actually think the only reason it took off was John o Leary was on late late and was asked about lads getting paid and he said well some lads are getting kitchens or something to that effect…

Fair point.

It’s the football they play. All bomb forward with abandon, particularly on Horan.

Horan seems to be a bit like Brendan Rodgers in that he is and outstanding manager at translating his style of play and developing and improving players but poor tactically and does not know how to counter the opposition.

1 Like

Boom - Bust football you could call it.

Kilmurry Ibrickane v St Gall’s was a wonderfully novel final pairing. The All-Ireland club championships are great.

1 Like

Horan is great at getting a team ready but desperate at spotting the changes to be made during a game

1 Like

One thing on Barrett that I cannot understand is why he did not give Belmullet one more year considering he was still on the mayo panel.

It would have just been a case of playing the 3/4 championship games they had.

They are only up out of intermediate so you’d think he’d want to drive it on to give them a chance of a title.

Now that he’s retired from mayo it makes sense to play in Dublin alright as I doubt he wants to be going to Bunniconlon for a league game in the rain next November.

It was a bit of a meme back then. Niall Guiden spoke mockingly in giving thanks for a new kitchen after Syls won the SFC. Curran might have made a similar jibe after leaving Davis iirc.

1 Like

Happy to see the back of him to be honest and I mean that as a compliment. Serious defender and excellent man marker. Probably the retirement that will hit Mayo hardest along with Clarke but Mayo do have some good defenders in reserve