Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

Jack Byrne is a professional footballer mate

he will star in the US of A

The equivalent of some who auditioned to star in Scorsese movie ending up in Fair City.

2 Likes

MLS is a fantastic product mate

This guy will be essential for you now

https://mobile.twitter.com/usasoccerguy

1 Like

The hamstring injury he got in Oz that threatened to be a career ender essentially was. He was very good before that. But not so much after.

By the standard of Kerry forwards, he was hopeless.

Were his four points in an all Ireland final two off each foot?

Can’t remember them. Was that against Cork who Kerry invariably always beat when it meant something?

I think his miss at the end of the semi final this year summed it up. If you had someone who could match him in the physical battle he didn’t really have the skills.

A guess he’s one for plenty of speculation, his time in Aus really stunted what he could have been.

Exactly.

Didn’t one of the McMahon’s have Walsh in his pocket in the 2008 All Ireland final?

Well we’ll never know I guess. I just thought he was a bit of a poor man’s Donaghy. Had the size but didn’t know how to utilise it like Donaghy, his hand skills were pretty mediocre too in comparison to Donaghy.

If you say so.

He wasn’t even in the same discussion as Donaghy.

1 Like

Joe went back from wing forward and put him in back pocket. Joe Mc would have been a multiple all star winner for any other county but his versatility meant he never got recognised like he should have.

1 Like

I do.

One of my favourite players from the last 20 years, Enda McGinley, probably falls into that bracket too.

1 Like

Gormley too.

Collie Holmes though a bit part player was extremely underrated. McAnallen too before his untimely death. You can still see it today with guys like Meyler, Donnelly, McGeary, Harte, Sludden etc.

1 Like

Yeah - there’s obviously great breeding of footballers going in the county.

Dooher of course is over them now as well.

Beast mode

Wagons circled … kerryman in full flow in the mauling of a Mayo or a Cork …

2 Likes