Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

Holden had a really good intercounty career relative to his abilities. Two all Ireland’s, one as a captain and an all star. Had a lot more solid outings than bad days despite most sides seeing him as a weak link.

Has a fine haul of medals at club level too.

8 Likes

A right good one ye gave us @peddlerscross @Fat_Pox etc (@Declan_Moffat ?)

https://tipperary.gaa.ie/press-release-brian-fox-retirement/

3 Likes

A Hall of Famer :clap:

3 Likes

He was some yoke

3 Likes

Excellent player and leader in his day.

What player has played in the most losing AI football finals?

AOS must be up there?

Keith Higgins I think. 06, 12, 13, 16 x2, 17. Did he play in 20?

AOS + Andy Moran must be that close too. Although Moran was inj in 12 or 13.

David Clarke togged for a lot of them but didnt play.

Alan Dillon lost a load of them too.

Boyle was a great player, no nonsense and a fella who seemed to keep a low profile off the pitch. One of those players who’d generate a buzz when he was tearing up field with about three fellas chasing after him.

Also, well done to Brian Fox of Tipp. Excellent player and any lad who ploughs away for that length of time, often in the doldrums of Division 3 and 4 with zero glamour, deserves enormous respect. He got his provincial title out of it at least, unlike many.

12 Likes

AOS would have played in every one 12-21 which is 6, not including replays.

Shouldn’t the replays be included and the draws excluded as he didn’t lose in those games?

2 Likes

I seem to remember Mayo destroying Galway in a Connaught game around 12/13. It was a rotten day but Boyle was an absolute wrecking ball turning over Galway attacks.

He seemed to love physical contact. Also was well able to kick a long distance point.

1 Like

Fox>Boyle

2 Likes

Dublin lost finals in 75, 78, 79, 84 & 85.

Anyone play in all 5 of those? I’m thinking maybe Tommy Drumm?

Brian Mullins played in all 5 of those lost finals.

Well yes but what I meant is that, I’m not including the finals he didn’t lose on the double.

Tooler must have played in most of them too?

Tommy Drumm and Anton O’Toole retired after 1984.

1 Like

Just a question for the experts on holders of Celtic Crosses….

Does anyone know who’s the oldest living holder of one (preferably won on the field of play and not as a sub)……