Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

Edit, sorry thought you were on about when they won it.

Boyle more than any other player was the embodiment of the Mayo team of the last decade.

As opposed to being the best player on it. Which Lee Keegan was and is.

James Sloyan said Boyle should have been the captain of that team.

4 All Stars without an All Ireland medal is some going.

Has anyone ever won more All Stars without an AI Medal in either code? Think there’s a load of Waterford lads in hurling stuck on 4.

Has Keegan 5?

Conor McManus has 3 without ever getting to an AI final.

1 Like

John Mullane has 5

2 Likes

Boyle was a real honest sort and the epitomy of that Mayo team, all fire and brimstone … really good at tearing forward and bringing fight to opposition, may have been a bit suspect defensively…king Con sauntered past him very easily in 2017 for his goal …

2 Likes

Harry Keegan only has 3.

1 Like

He gave away a soft free late in the 2013 final which Cluxton put over. I think it was Dublin’s last point. Mayo might have got a draw out of it if he hadn’t done that.

1 Like

Ollie Canning had four all stars but no intercounty senior all Ireland. Patrick Horgan is on 4 and won’t win an All Ireland.

As aforementioned, Mullane with 5 is the highest without a Celtic cross.

1 Like

Which years did Keegan win an All-Star? 2013, 2016 and 2017 I presume? 2021 he will definitely get one.

I’d doubt he got in any of the other years.

Jamie Barron may well pick up his 4th this year and having just turned 28 has plenty more chances to add to his All Star collection.

And being from Waterford he’s not going to ruin it by getting an AI medal at any stage

5 Likes

You sure? Don’t remember him ding anything in them.

4 Likes

The term “abrasive wing-back” might have been coined with him in mind although he wasn’t the 1st.in that category.

1 Like

Geraghty was your textbook abrasive wingback

Eamon Breen was your textbook abrasive wing back.

Eamon Lacey was your textbook abrasive wingback

I can think of two Laceys who have played in defence in All-Ireland finals in the last 25 years.

But no Cagneys.

Eamon Heery was your textbook abrasive wingback called Eamon

2 Likes

Ah here, our own Gerry Flanagan was the quintessential abrasive wing-back. Certainly passed the abrasive part of the exam….

John Maughan concurs with my opinion I might add……Gerry’s finest day…