Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

Boxty, I’d have trusted in you to recall young Lacey…

I saw yozzer heery and Kieran duff going at it one day in a league match out in Vincent’s … it was brutal …

Jim Ware was 40 when he captained Waterford to win the 1948 All Ireland Final.

Thanks but not the answer to the question.
The question is based on the information that when he died the late Tony Reddin was the oldest holder of a Celtic Cross at 95.
I’m just curious as to whom may hold that particular distinction currently.

1 Like

Sorry. Misread your. Martin White, Tullaroan and Kilkenny was 102 when he died a few years ago.

If he hasn’t died since 2017 it’s John Coffey from Tipp aged 103.

Died at 101 in 2019.

Johnny Everard at 97 was the oldest living All Ireland medal winner when he passed away in May 2021.

Jimmy Finn must be a great age now although I think he was only just out of minor when he captained Tipp to win one of the 3 in a row from 1949-51.

Jimmy Finn (Borris-Ileigh), who was 90 on November 16, is hurling’s oldest living winning captain. Captained Tipperary in 1951.

Jimmy Lynam (Glen Rovers) came on as a sub for Cork in 1952 AIF and was an unused sub in 1953 AIF. Was 96 on October 1. He is the oldest living All Ireland-winning hurler of whom I know.

8 Likes

Dick Rockett, 90 this year, is Kilkenny’s oldest living All Ireland-winning hurler. Johnny McGovern is a year younger.

1 Like

I imagine Jas Murphy, who was 98 on May 30 and captained Kerry to 1953 AIF, is football’s oldest winning captain – and perhaps the oldest All Ireland winner full stop.

2 Likes

By God, a great age indeed.

Many thanks to all for the info.

No bother. I am hoping to interview those men.

1 Like

Flinty I believe is the appropriate word.

Simply not good enough

2 Likes

now you are talking

1 Like

Book project? Keep us updated

1 Like

Would Noel Lane be the hurling title holder? Five defeats, three wins in fairness so not as miserable as the Mayo football candidates.

Kevin Moran has a 0-3 record.