Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

‘A shot!’

‘A goal!’

‘A goal!’

‘A goal for Offaly!’.

It was like O’Hehir was reacting to each individual piece of the action. The double ‘a goal’ shows that he couldn’t actually believe it and he had to do a double take.

Just incredible.

1 Like

The greatest sub in GAA history.

1 Like

That was Billy Byrne.

The greatest hurling sub in GAA history.

McGee said that he knew throwing on D’arby would give Offaly a goal threat.

I still think the way he caught the ball and delivered that shot (‘foul’ and all) is very underrated when the moment is spoke of.

He caught it around his shoulder on the turn. It struck me as a case of D’arby sensing the chance and doing everything in his power to rattle the net.

1 Like

Cathal Cregg

Legend? :joy:

I was on the Hill in the middle of a bunch of Offaly men. I remember the excitement to this day.

4 Likes

That must be up there with the best gigs you were at.

3 Likes

8 All Irelands.

Wonderful memory to have.

My earliest memory celebrating a victory not involving Tipp was being on the Hill when Antrim turned Offaly over in 89.

The Antrim fans really appreciated the support Tipp fans gave them in that win and some actually to this day attend Tipp games in Croke Park.

It’s a funny one considering Tipp bate the shite of them in the final but Antrim hurling followers really are top class people.

1 Like

How many did he start?

A hairy Offaly fellow who was out of the Shane Lowry/Brian Cowen school of ating put his arm around me and roared he rattled the owl onion bag. It took me a while to figure that out.

Kerry demolishing Dublin in 78 was great fun too.

It was poetry, every single action of the move. The flight of the ball in, the arc of the shot to the net, just beautiful. No one could argue it, not even the slight nudge

1 Like

They beat Kerry teams on downward slope from 2011 to 2016 -

The strike, the top spin he created. Beating Nelligan back then was no mean feat either.

Backspin surely?

Iconic

Those little hops after it, unreal

1 Like

I always enjoyed the look of absolute dread that used to run across Aidan O Mahony’s smug head when he would see Mcmenamen trotting towards him. Kevin had the yerras spooked to the core of their being.

2 Likes