Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

You’re not wrong. Friend of mine used to go to Thurles for league matches.

1 Like

I saw a couple of Antrim coats at the recent Tipp county finals.

Tipperary would be held in some high regard by those Ulster Counties. They’d very much see us as being the aristocrats of Ireland both in GAA and during the War of Independence.

When Tipp went up to Antrim to play a challenge match a few years ago they were treated like absolute royalty by Gerry Adams and co. Same when the Tipp footballers went to Crossmaglen to play a league match around 10 years ago.

When Tyrone and Armagh came to Semple Stadium to play Qualifiers in recent years their players and supporters have always stayed on the pitch afterwards taking pictures and soaking in the atmosphere on the hallowed turf.

3 Likes

The Offaly lads are tremendous fun tbf. Absolute roasters, but endearing sorts cunts nonetheless

1 Like

Would there be many subs that don’t come on against tired legs ?

I’ve said it before but This was a remarkable article for an opposing manager at the time to write … from dubs resources to throwing his own players under the bus …even the ball boys were in on it …

2 Likes

Lovely post that.

There are strong links between Tipp and Antrim.

You’d always get some real Gaels from Ulster at AI hurling final day. I’ve chatted to some of them over the year, and sure they might have been just plamasing me but they all seemed to be shouting for Tipp, especially against Kilkenny.

Whenever I pop up to Newry, I’d usually spot at least one person with a local accent wearing some kind of Tipp top.

The people that are into hurling along the border counties and into Ulster are fanatical about it. There are very few clubs here but a bunch of young lads sometimes play during the summer on the green in the estate. They’d have Galway, Tipp jerseys etc. on when playing hurling and one lad in goals with the Limerick goalie jersey.

1 Like

The finest of people

Lar Corbett would be a near annual, and very popular, visitor to the Ould Lammass Fair. I knew he was up for the drink and making a few quid on hurls but didn’t ever make the connection between the 2 counties.

1 Like

Yeah like Bourke Sports were able to set up a shop in Belfast because the market is there for Tipperary manufactured gear up there.

Fr Alec Reid was worshipped up there for being a Tipp man.

You can see it in how they are buying into Darren Gleeson as manager and Dinny Cahill before him.

We are the chosen ones in their eyes.

3 Likes

Sheedy well-liked up there. Don’t think he was taking money off them either. Cahill, the mad man, was up and down there for the love of the game

The sourest of sour grapes there from fitzmaurice. Kerry football people are generally very fair minded and gracious. Until you beat them.

5 Likes

Cahill is a great bit of stuff, absolutely fucking mental but in a decent sort of way.

Stone mad.

Mad for hurling and mad in general!

Aidan Harte, Galway.

2 Likes

A’boy Harty and best of luck.

Never let the side down.

4 Likes

Harty is one of the good ones.

Henry must have told him because he said a few weeks ago he was making himself available…

Yeah exactly. They are not gracious at all