Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

Philly bowed out in the only way he could that day.

Giving his all for a lost cause.

I’m sure he’ll give Ballymun a few good years yet before riding off into the sunset.

1 Like

Mad to think Fitzsimons outlasted so many of the team from 2011 … used to think he was a weak link but he has really come into his own in last few years …

5 Likes

My abiding memory of him is the story of the small row at half time in the 2020 final.

The teams are going into the tunnel. He walks beside Cillian O’ Connor and reminds him to “Put on your nappy at half time as he usually shits himself in the 2nd half of finals”.

Never really rated him as a great. Was very good in the 15 final but after that he wasnt one of the main men. His longevity and media profile probably gave him an elevated status. I would rate Fitzsimons as a much better operator.

4 Likes

McMahon was a very good footballer , rarely gave a stray handpass or foot pass , good at kicking points too…

2 Likes

His point off the Gooch in 2015 was ICONIC.

He’ll surely be on The Late Late tonight - he transcended the sport really.

4 Likes

Always thought he got away with murder and never really rated him as a result.

3 Likes

Bizarre correlation.

Do you rate Mike Casey?

Not you again.

It’s a fair question, Casey isn’t exactly Mr nice guy on the field and got away with murder in the 2018 final

Top player really, modern, mobile full back with enough hurling. Big loss to Limerick. The way Dan has been, he would do a serious job out the field.

1 Like

No question, not many teams have a capable full back and Limerick have two of the very best

1 Like

Dan is hurling so well, I wonder could we ever see him anchoring midfield alongside Donoghue. Jesus christ, the power of it. Would release Will no end and its his inclination to get on the end of moves anyway.

Donovan could play it any way really between half back, midfield or half forward

Did you see Dan at midfield for Ahane v the Well this year . Don’t think so . Dan won’t move from 3 at IC level

The All Star rests in Waterford though.

1 Like

Deservingly so, the Limerick lads could learn a thing or two from him

I wonder alright, he is just going so well, stand up, he prob hasn’t the hurling for it but I just wonder.

Could see Kiely changing things up in some way.
I could potentially see him CB as well after Hannon, him or Nash. He’d keep it very simple.

Small beer in the greater scheme of things

Dan doesn’t have the hands Declan Hannon has tbh . I have great time for Dan but I think he has found his niche at 3

1 Like

Absolutely true really.