Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

The klaxon has sounded.

10 Likes

I doubt you will find a negative post from me about this current Limerick team or questioning their ability or their dominance. Just because I don’t think Declan Hannon is as good as ye do yet ye are are taking it as some mortal insult.

The only shit sickening stuff is reading posts from a simpleton like yourself.

Sure look @Big_Dan_Campbell, Hannon is up their with an Icon in Christy Ring in captaining All Ireland winning teams and he could yet set an unattainable record in the long term. I am also yet to see De Burca deliver ball and score like Hannon. McMahon was a brilliant player but no where near as good a stick man. I would actually say Ken McGrath is closest to Hannon in ability.

@balbec needs to get his troops in to line here.

The 3 in a row bid will be won and lost on the INTERNET.

I suppose it is an issue Tipperary won’t have for a couple of years.

1 Like

In my opinion it is not the same role.

Tipperary did not work the ball out of defence in the same manner Limerick do. Nor did they attempt to. There was nowhere near the level of emphasis on linking play out of defence, the responsibility to take and give stick passes under pressure, to quickly switch the play from the point of turnover to the opposite wing through Hannon, to move into space in front and exploit that space by hitting scores from distance which Hannon is very good at.

Maher’s role was primarily a defensive one. He was a sitting 6. He never ventured out beyond his midfield if the chance arose from what I recall. He didn’t hit a score all year and I don’t recall him delivering a pile of ball into the forwards. If I recall correctly, he was completely at sea there v Limerick in Thurles and had little or no influence in the game and sat back in the pocket all game.

That’s not the role Hannon plays. Yes, he sits when needed to sit. But the ball goes through his hands a huge amount in comparison to Maher’s from my memory. We basically transition from defence to attack a lot of the time through him. And he will move forward and affect the game, take a shot etc if it opens for him and he knows Nash or WOD are in place.

Again, it’s just my opinion. I don’t think Éamon O’Shea can be credited with remoulding the modern 6 role I’m afraid

@carryharry throwing up a decoy on the Poland thread is the best phoney move since the Battle of the Bulge.

3 Likes

I think it’s a bit odd to define the discussion on “modern centre back” and then pick seanie McMahon as your greatest. An all time great player but I don’t think many would see him as a player of the “modern era”.

1 Like

No no no @Big_Dan_Campbell is setting the criteria here, this is his show :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

When Limerick start winning matches in front of full houses in Thurles, Cork and Croke Park, then maybe they’ll earn the respect of TFK.

Half empty stadiums and 6 week Winter Blitz’s just don’t cut it here.

That seems to depend on whether you believe Limerick invented hurling or Clare did.

1 Like

Would ye cunts fuck off back to your own circle jerk thread?

Hang on a second. @Big_Dan_Campbell lamented the fact that he can’t have a proper debate with fellow hurling fans. When I attempt to debate very fairly with him, without any insults or stupid jibes, he calls me a know it all :man_shrugging:

I’m enjoying the discussion anyway, it’s grand out

Did he come into the Retirement thread waffling about Kyle Hayes, Finn, etc?

Called me some awful names as well.

What would be your definition of the modern era? To me the changes from the mid 90s onwards is the start of the modern era as the game changed drastically in terms of how it was played and competition structure as teams were no longer one and done.

By the same logic, I would consider the modern era of football to be the early 90s onwards when the backpass was outlawed and the likes of the premier league and champions league replaced what went before them.

1 Like

So 1995 onwards, right?

No simpleton, as I said when the back door came in. 1997 if you want to be specific. Watch a game from 1995 or before and a game from 1997 onwards and they are poles apart in terms of execution of skills and fitness.

You’re upset

1 Like

Limerick’s current Golden Generation were brought into the conversation by @glasagusban and @peddlerscross as far as I’m aware.

I certainly commented on them after that. But then again, I’ll post wherever the fuck I want you see.