Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

Surely odd. Barnes has had a long and successful career in AGS rising to Superintendent level before retiring. He could be treacherous enough in his day too now mind.

I though to myself before reading the post “Please let Humphrey be manager” and I was not disappointed.

He’s only man for the job.

3 Likes

Mick Bermingham another. Johnny “fingers” Finnegan, Shay or Rory Boland, Liam Walsh, The Ryan’s from O’Tooles, Brendan McLoughlin could feel hard done by. Brendan won’t like being left out

Donie O’Connell and John Carroll need to be shoe ins in the Half forward line.

2 Likes

Liam Walsh should be, came on a sub in the all ireland football semi final in 1994 for the footballers, would probably have been on the 1995 team, but ended up not even on the panel in 1995. Not jacking in the hurling may have been a factor. A great hurler and character

Yeah McLoughlin should be in the selection, proper dublin hurling character

@Cheasty who’d have thought we’d have to split Dublin for hurling

Has to be a Holden in there somewhere and the Joey Towell…Derek Finn from the Croabh… Damo byrne the postman from Cuala on the nets… and a Carton from the o tooles… father and sons all played for Dublin I think

1 Like

Wait no longer. And not a single mention of tinfoil, apart from this one.

The Pure Tipperary XV

1 Ken Hogan (born to be a Garda, he wouldn’t let a ham sandwich slip through his grasp the way he did with a harmless bouncing ball against Galway in 1993)
2 Mickey “The Rattler” Byrne (Hup ya boy ya Rattler, Gráinne wants the ride off ya)
3 Michael Maher (Himself, Doyle and Carey should have sued Gordon Ramsay for copyright infringement)
4 John Doyle (“Trouble at Holycross”, read the Wee Six headlines in 2001, he was brought in to sort it out, Tipperary won the All-Ireland, and all was right with the world)
5 Tony Wall (taught me how to shorten a hurley, I think I may have mentioned this before)
6 Mick Roche (Nailed on Man Of The Match in the 1968 All-Ireland final, at least according to those who left at half-time)
7 Podrick Maher (a rutting stag, has a very big chest, ate the body weight of 17 pigs per year in ham at his peak)
8 John Carroll (fed on raw meat)
9 Joe Hayes (the man from Liverpool Fan TV)
10 Jimmy Doyle (played hurling, and was good at it, there is nothing else to say)
11 Bubbles O’Dwyer (Two Times Champion of Fuckin’ Ireland, probably good at arm wrestling, you don’t argue with those wrists)
12 John Leahy (“I played for Tipperary for well over a decade and have long sorted out my demons and still all people ever want to talk about is that time I glassed somebody in the eye in a nightclub in Manchester arguing that Liverpool were better than Man United”)
13 Lar Corbett (designated man marker)
14 Nicholas English (Thought of by some in Irish politics as the one man who can single handedly turn at least one of Ireland’s Russia supporting MEPs into a figure of ridicule – he knows how to laugh at Clare, although this has a habit of backfiring)
15 Babs Keating (Once a trailblazing moderniser, now has no time for the modern world. But still knows donkeys don’t win derbies)

Subs

Brendan Cummins (needs to be kept apart from Leahy, you don’t want a Scouse-Manc footix fight breaking out, although it might be the only way you get a Tipperary hurling two in a row)
Kieran Carey (Completing the triumvirate of evil chefs)
Mick “Church” Ryan (nice fella, hit a mean shoulder)
Brendan Maher (to give the ladies something to look at)
Paul Shelly (he’s fat, and therefore, like all other fat inter-county players, he is automatically the essential representation of his county)
Len Gaynor (“I’m not afraid to say, I love that man”)
Aidan Ryan (had a lovely way of swinging a hurley one handed and looking completely disinterested after coming on as a half time substitute and waiting for the second half to start, before turning into the Duracell bunny, All-Ireland champion in 1989 and 1991 with Tipperary and 1998 with Offaly)
Patrick “Bonner” Maher: For the Leaving Certificate, he was told to put the head down. That advice that never left him.
Cormac Bonner (A Viking, and also a pedant about the English language: “I never wanted to play badly, I badly wanted to play”)
Michael Doyle (there to mullock the ball into the net in extra-time, from one yard, at the second attempt)
Donie O’Connell (there to throw the ball into the net from one yard in extra-time and run into the stanchion after it)
Ger “Redser” O’Grady (I fear I’m falling into a trap here of automatically selecting fat cunts or mad cunts and portraying them as the true representation of the character of counties, but I like doing it, so let’s continue in that vein here)
Micheál Webster (why not?)

Manager: Liam Sheedy
Non-playing captain, Ryder Cup style: Pa O’Neill
Treasurer: Darren Gleeson
Designated team singer and craic merchant: Pat “Festy” Kerwick
Sponsor: Finches
Donie Nealon: Donie Nealon
Cheerleaders: Una Healy, Roz Purcell, Gemma Hayes

17 Likes

yeah cartons a good call

Was Joey towell Dublins first all star ?

Humphrey is sound out. A lovely chap altogether. Id a great chat with him last time we met about one of the books he was writing.

Treasurer… you bad bastard

2 Likes

Ah Mcgrane was an unreal hurler …

superb cheasty

any chance you would do a kerry football selection!?

no, i reckon Mick Bermingham, did Towell even win one?

1 Like

https://m.facebook.com/itsaparkslife/videos/joey-towell-dublin-all-star/177184759522419/

what you make of this selection ? obviously dont know the older lads but I find it hard to see there is no place for Liam Walsh, John Twomey and perhaps Peter Kelly

Friends of Dublin Hurling: Dublin Team of 1960-2020 announced (dublingaa.ie)

No Mickey Cahill :cry:

Fox a glaring omission. Left handed, knee brace, the confidence. “Give me the ball and we’ll win the game.”

5 Likes

The same applies to Brendan Keeshan, Offaly.

1 Like

Forgot about John twomey … yeah he was great for Dublin …Brian kelleher unlucky not to be in subs i think …they both seem to fall into that 30/40 year gap in team bar McMahon …not sure about hiney in subs