Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

Ogie was the man that made it all happen. The most intelligent footballer of his time. Kerry never lost a final when he started at centre forward.

3 Likes

Every day is a school day

A different type of player completely. Ogie was a distributor . He would hover up breaking ball and pick a pass out to open up a defence. I think there was a syat about him that Kerry never lost an All Ireland when he played at 11. (I haven’t checked whether he played at 11 v Offaly)

1 Like

@Fagan_ODowd beat me to it

I remember Ogie well, a fabulous player, but so was his young fella, no disrespect to Ogie

I have not commented on the young fella at all. I just said they were completely different types of players. Apples and Oranges.

Their mother is a Listowel woman iirc

2 Likes

1:23 in championship is poor shooting by Moran.

Ya, sorry, I remember Ogie, @Fagan_ODowd said that David wasn’t fit to lace his fathers boots, I thought that was harsh

David wouldn’t have got near that great Kerry team.

2 Likes

Tom Spillane started centre forward (11) that day with Ogie at 12.
Ogie was withdrawn to be replaced by Pat Spillane and the 5 in-a-row dream evaporated.

A fatal selectorial choice, Ogie wasn’t a wing anything he was an out and out 11 and won the paltry 8 Celtic crosses there. David, as has been pointed out was a different specimen and was selected for fielding, size and strength. Chalk and cheese.

2 Likes

I wanted to let it go but I couldn’t, :grimacing:David Moran is a far better all round player than Ambrose, and Seanie Walsh wouldn’t put him in the hapenny place either, I think you’re underrating him.

1 Like

Almost double what MDMA managed.

You could be right. He might have done a job as an impact sub.

1 Like

I’d say 90% of his points were fisted

I see you went conservative in your estimate

MDMA ‘s role wasn’t to score and he was so good at his role he won footballer of the year …

Moran would of been a great midfielders 30 years ago. His lack of mobility and stamina cost him and kerry on several big days.

3 Likes

Moran fancied himself as a bit of a distributor often demanding the ball from someone a few yards away. He’d then try an outside of the boot 50 yard raking pass that’d inevitably end in the chest of an opponent. He also couldn’t kick a point to save his life. He was good at catching the ball, though.

Give me MDMA any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

3 Likes

Spot on … no better player to have than a lad who knows what he’s good at and
What he’s not …

1 Like