Road Deaths

I don’t know that. Either way it’s tragic.

There’s a stat that came out that Sligo has the most dangerous roads in Ireland? Surprised it’s not Donegal.

Its not the standard of roads thats the problem in donegal, its the standard of driving

2 Likes

The Kerry Limerick road is fierce dangerous I hear. Too straight and too wide.

The bit over the hills between Castleisland and Abbeyfeale has always put the wind up me any time I’ve travelled on it. It’s a 2 + 1. I hate those 2 +1 roads, cars do high speeds on them and you’re always thinking that some driver will get confused and mistakenly think the lane in the middle is going in their direction. I’d take a decent single lane carriageway any day over that style of road.

3 Likes

A good example of its not the road thats the problem but drivers behaviour. Not the worst road in ireland

It is a fairly dangerous road all the same. My cousins boyfriend at the time was killed on that road many years ago.

1 Like

That’s just a stat based of figures for the year to date. Thankful our number of road are pretty low so it only takes a few fatal accidents to put a county near the top.

1 Like

All national roads are dangerous. The adare to ncw road isnt the worst ive driven in ireland either but poor drivers and poor behaviour cause accidents unfortunately. Ive driven that road a few times alright.

It’s not the roads in Donegal it’s tbe shagging loopers on them

My issue with 2+1s is drivers taking risks with the 2 lane section about to end. There’s not actually too many of them in Ireland, but I remember driving in NZ where they have a lot of them you would get a very short warning that the overtaking lane was about to merge. You had to stamp on the brakes or stamp on the accelerator and a lot of fellas will opt for the latter.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that. It’s a good long while since I was on a 2+1 road. There aren’t that many of them up and down the country.

I think there’s a similar one to the Castleisland-Abbeyfeale road over hills between Cork and Killarney.

The N20 between Cork and Limerick is 2+1 at stages as well?

I think parts of the N17 up in Mayo might be as well. There’s definitely one around Clontibret in Monaghan on the N2. The old Dublin-Belfast road just north of Drogheda I think used to have one before the motorway opened.

From Google street view the one in Clontibret seems to have recently had a barrier put down to divide the two lanes from the one.

1 Like

The Cahir bypass and I think a section of the N24 between Carrick-on-Suir and Waterford are 2+1 as well, although there is a barrier between the 2 and the 1 in the Cahir bypass example at least.

I think the 2+1 stretches are segregated now on this road

1 Like

Yeah between mallow and cork. Awful stretch. I hate them also. The mallow road has that steel wire between. Gives me anxiety when on either side of it

There was one widely reported tragic crash this summer down your neck of the woods which I strongly suspect was caused by a driver being impatient overtaking as a single carriageway was about to expand into a dual carriageway, there were those orange plastic barriers at the end of the single carriageway for 100 yards or so before it turned into the dual carriageway.

Ballybunion to Tralee is really bad. There are verges on both sides of a narrow stretch of road that are a few feet deep.

1 Like

Never went that way now tbf. If ever on a road im unfamiliar with, take it handy

Roscommon has shocking roads …

I don’t know the Balllybunion - Tralee road but have been on the Balllybunion - Listowel road a few times. It’s a really strange one, very straight but narrow and with the remnants of a monorail on one side.

The road between Galway and Headford is a road I dislike. It’s very straight a lot of the way but narrow and packed with commuters. I once made the mistake of cycling too far into Mayo and was coming back on that road in the dusk and then the dark with commuter cars with lights on going the other way as far as the eye could see with cars bombing past me on my side. I wasn’t the better of it and was glad to get back into the city.