Rocko's Theatre Review Thread

Wow. Just wow.

WTF is going on with this world at all

Thanks for your counsel, mate. We had a lovely night at the Gaeity. My first time there since attending the stellar production of Celtic - The Musical.

2 Likes

Decent seats? I believe everyone should go to the theatre as often as possible. It broadens the mind.

Went to the box office an hour beforehand and the chap told us it wouldn’t be a full house so recommended to buy cheapest upper circle tickets and we’d be upgraded to parterre when we went in. Told us not to tell anybody he did this.

1 Like

Quality!

I presumed this is common but he made out like it was top secret. Either way, he was a pleasant chap.

We would have bumped real shoulders last night, e-pal. I have to say, I enjoyed the occasion. It was short, there were plenty of easy laughs and, most importantly, my super special lady friend had a great time.

2 Likes

Yeah, it was a grand way to pass a couple of hours with plenty of easy laughs as you say. He’s skillfully milked it to get 20 years out of it as I still found it enjoyable even though it’s a slightly different twist on the same concept and jokes.

Herself wouldn’t exactly be a rabid reader, but she has read (and of course bought) a fair few of his books, so the spondoolicks keep rolling in alright. Somehow he’s managed the trick of having the character remain popular, ever present in the background, but never ubiquitous, which is usually the point where the Irish turn on someone or something.

He learned from the Simpsons. Multiple characters supporting the original lead for a long series, each having their own storyline.

1 Like

His old lad is the best part of it

Jesus @Bandage, I enjoy ROCK in the Times but wouldn’t have thought it was your cup of tea?
Thinking of walking up to Death of a Salesman in Limerick tonight.

What will you do when you get there?

2 Likes

I’ll watch the show mate.

I’m in London tonight. Just realized that “Venus in furs” is playing down the street starring the lovely Nathalie Dormer @flattythehurdler . Maybe next time.

2 Likes

Honor is a tremendous character as well.

This is on for a short run in the Abbey in February. It’s a must see.

Hamilton is opening tonight in the West End

1 Like

Just back from Hamilton in the West End there tonight. Super show. Lived up to all the hype. There’s not a mediocre song in the whole two and three quarter hours. I’d have it up there with West Side Story in the Pantheon of musical theatre.

7 Likes