Rocko's Theatre Review Thread

I’m very jealous @Fagan_ODowd. Listened to a load of the tunes there recently. Sounds savage.

That’s some praise

Heading to this in a few months. Had to pay through the nose for tickets but you couldnt put a a price on the brownie points earned with the missus. Delighted it has the Fagan o Dowd seal of approval.

1 Like

A bit early to be thinking about crimbo presents but this might be worth picking up a couple of tickets for

cc @Julio_Geordio @TreatyStones

2 Likes

My wife doesn’t have rabies either.

1 Like

I am very glad to hear that.

I’d never heard of Tom Murphy before today

:zipper_mouth_face::zipper_mouth_face::zipper_mouth_face::thinking::joy::joy::joy:

@Fagan_ODowd I was over at Hamilton last month and it was everything you said it was and more. A tremendous excursion. I took in the Ferryman the same weekend which was also excellent. Its set up north around the time of the hunger strikes.
I was at Assasins in the Gate last night as well. Its an excellent evenings entertainment that id recommend to any musical theatre fans on the forum.

1 Like

What’s your take on the Ferryman?

Dont pay him, until he gets you to the other side.

7 Likes

You can’t trust zeebrugges

I enjoyed it but I can see why it comes in for criticism. Depends how you approach it. As a piece of theatre I thought it was enjoyable. As a social commentary on the troubles it was problematic as the snowflakes like to say. There was likeable characters, a decent pace to it and a good sense of impending doom in the plot along with a healthy dose of humour. The country tweeness was a bit overcooked at times and there wasn’t much nuance to the IRA characters who were very one dimensional. There was one tremendous rant about what a cunt Maggie Thatcher is by the grand-aunt character which was worth the admission alone. The version I saw was not the original cast which was a pity as i’d have like to see Paddy Considine on stage.

1 Like

Thanks, that was more in depth than I was expecting. I don’t know how anyone could make sense of that period in norn iron history.

:clap:

My life partner asked me to go see Asking For It in the Gaeity with her tonight.

Three hours of my life I will never get back. Set in cork centring around, rape and the Savage insularness of the local village.

1 Like

What did her indoors think of it

Underwhelemed, she much preferred the book.

Have the feeling that the book is probably around a similar standard but as she was reading it around the time of the Belfast 3 rape case it proabably captured the zeitgeist (cc @TheUlteriorMotive ) of the time and added to the book.

3 Likes

As an aside Talking to Strangers by Malcolm Gladwell has a very interesting chapter on sexual assaults and research from US colleges which shows a complete breakdown between people as to what behaviour indicates consent.

I have it on audible and it’s a really great listen/read and would recommend. Covers water boarding, suicide and how coupling affects it and why police shoot black people in traffic stops.

2 Likes