Rocko's Theatre Review Thread

Agreed. Has everything

Not long out of The Matchbox.

Highly recommended but not for the fainted hearted.

:clap: Cathy Belton

Importance of being Earnest in the Gate tonight. Excellent rendition of the Wilde favourite. Rory Nolan continues to blossom as a comic theatrical actor. He was last seen in the role of Ross O’Carroll Kelly in Breaking Dad. Tonight he played the role of Algy Moncrieff.

I’m seeing this on Friday night, this encourages.

1 Like

That’s great mate but this is a theatre review thread, what was the gate like?

Not quite theatre but I attended Mise Eire at the NCH tonight. They showed the film on a big screen and had the RTE orchestra play Sean McDiarmada’s evocative score.

Michael D was in attendance in addition to several other politician types. Highligh of the evening though was seeing the very lovely Aoibhinn ni Shuilleabhain

1 Like

That sounds great.

It was very good. I’d never seen Mise Eire before and some of the footage of the 1910-1918 period is stunning. The narration is in Irish with subtitles and was a little over the top at times but overall a good night. Done in 90 mins too - there’s a lot to be said for a film that’s not almost 3 hrs long.

1 Like

Anyone else buzzing for the upcoming show chiity chitty bang bang

1 Like

Because three hours is the typical length of a film.

Well?

A very enjoyable performance, I would second your appraisal of Rory Byrne’s performance. I thought the portrayal of Lady Bracknell was a bit formulaic, but not a major gripe in the grand scheme…

1 Like

Just got this message from lapsed forumite @nemesis
‘If anyone offers you a free ticket to spirit of freedom in the olympia immediately punch them in the face. Nobody deserves to be made sit though this.’

I went to Derren Brown’s show Miracle in the Bord Gas last night. Sensational mind bending stuff. The guy is an absolute legend.

I’m assuming sarcasm here. Please confirm.

No. This is the second time I’ve seen him live. Hi s shows are unbelievable in every sense. And absolutely mind boggling. And he’s a funny fucker. But he didn’t sing any celtic songs so it may not be your cup of tea.

I saw him once and it was a good show in fairness. It was difficult enough to figure out how he was doing stuff vs a Keith Barry show I saw around the same time where I had a fair idea of how he did everything and was left underwhelmed.

I went to see ‘Who’s Afraid of Virginia Wolf’ in the Gate last weekend. Almost 3 hours long…fairly powerful stuff. Serious performances out of the 4 actors

1 Like

Would agree “powerful” is a good word to use. Fiona Bell (I think) who played Martha was superb.
Apparently the actor who is playing George was a late-ish replacement, which must have meant leading a huge script fairly taunting.

Went to Billy Elliott tonight in the Bord Gains theatre. A wonderful production but still not a patch on the film. Would highly recommend it. A great nights entertainment