Rocko's Theatre Review Thread

Celtic The Musical was absolutely awesome, bhoys.

2 Likes

I see @Rocko switched tfk servers just to delete a reported lukewarm review of the Celtic musical. Sweep Sweep.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Attended Swan Lake/Loch Na hEala tonight. Part of the Dublin Theatre Festival and playing in the O’Reilly Theatre, possibly my favourite Dublin venue.
A modern Irish take on Tchaikovskys Classic ballet, the two words that best describe this show are My and Jaysus. It was fucking unreal. An absolute tour de force. A play/ballet about mental illness that was absolutely mental but anchored by the most disciplined droning music imaginable.

Sensational.

5 stars.

Went to The Father in the Gate the other night. It’s about an old man and his descent into dementia - what is reality and what memories can he trust etc. Very cleverly done and not excessively long either. I’d warn the more elderly members of the TFK clique though that the subject matter could be a bit close to the heart …

I attended Hero by Ken Rogan in the theatre upstairs on eden quay on Saturday night. It’s a one man show about football, anger, love and drink. Really well acted (Daithì McSuibhne from fair city) and with some killer lines., I imagine most of tfk would enjoy it. Only about an hour long as well which is always a bonus. 7pm until next Saturday. They also have some matinees for lads that might not be up to much in the daytime @gilgamboa @Sidney @ChocolateMice @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy or indeed fellas who work nearby and could buzz up on their lunch hour on Wednesday @rocko and other ifsc types.

1 Like

Thought it might interest you @rocko. Theres a particular plot line that certainly will…

That sounds good.

I may be in Dublin for one day this week. What’s particularly appealing about the location of Eden Quay is the venue’s proximity both to the drop off point for the bus from Galway and to several shops and off-licences that sell Tuborg.

1 Like

It better not be too close to the bone.

You can brink drink in with you and obviously they’ll never see you slipping a can out of the bag in the dark. Winner alright.

They might hear me opening a can, though. I guess I’ll just have to cough very loudly as I do that.

1 Like

I imagine that’s a skill you’ve long since mastered @Sidney.

Sure you’ll have to go see it. You may be due few quid out of it?

You would expect a smoker to have the ability to fake a loud cough alright, but amazingly my lungs are not yet in ribbons, so it’s actually more tricky than you’d think.

Secured tickets to see Hamilton in London there.

Who are the Accies playing?

3 Likes

Went to see the Pillowman last week in the Gaiety. It’s by Martin McDonagh of In Bruges fame. Excellent production - the play is very very dark but yet quite funny too. Sure what play about child murder and totalitarianism wouldn’t be. Definite recommendation.

No it’s actually a musical, not the soccer team.

hard come by?

Would like to see that meself

Went on sale there at noon. Don’t know if They are sold out yet