Rocko's Theatre Review Thread

ah there’s loads…
for March and April 2018!

Yeah I got mine for Feb 2018.

I admire your optimisim

7 Likes

There will be a few snowflakes at that

I’m one myself

Jacques Brel is Alive and Well and Living in Paris.

Gate Theatre.

4/5.

A lovely evening of song on Cavendish Row. An hour and twenty minutes of fine interpretations of Jacques Brel songs. Star turn Risteard Cooper is the weakest singer of the quartet. Karen McCartney, the strongest, her rendition of Marieke is the revelation of the evening. Rory Nolan’s gift for physical comedy is given full vent here but the quality of his voice is a pleasant surprise. He does a wonderful version of Jackie, reading sexual frustration into every line. The final member of the quartet, Stephanie McKeon is excellent on the shows crescendo, Carousel.

A final word for the set. Beautiful.

A wonderful evening.

3 Likes

I had meant to enquire at the time. I attended the Christmas panto in cork opera house, it was a comedic version of Cinderella, would a review of that show be appropriate for this thread ?

No.

2 Likes

That’s a bit of a harsh and rushed decision I feel.
This production did take place in an actual proper opera house/theatre.
There were several acclaimed professional actors involved in same, but so be it.
It’s your thread and I’m can’t fully remember much about it anyway only that Cinderella was a fine thing.

Fire ahead

1 Like

Thanks to @binkybarnes ill be booking Aladdin in London this week.

I love you guys

1 Like

Post away @Brimmer_Bradley. @rocko is not the the judge of what constitutes theatre. He’s strictly meat and one veg when it comes to the arts.

1 Like

This years production thankfully reverted back to live music after a years hiatus,Barnaby Hughes, star of the small screen played a geeky asthma ridden Prince Charming and it was widely agreed stole the show.
Frank Mackey along with Adam colbeck-Dunne created their usual magic on stage that we’ve become accustomed to year in, year out.
The sumptuous stage design and set could not take away from the beauty that is molly lynch, a true cork native, Mollys portrayal of Cinderella was second to none and her singing voice simply improved perfection where many thought improvement wasn’t possible, added to that she’s a fucking ride and many of her costumes involved skimpy outfits to keep the pervy fathers in attendance on the edge of their seats.

4 Likes

The small lad from Waterford that was on the voice or something (Richie??) is the king of panto, he steals the show every year in a star studded :confused:Limerick panto.

Listen kid, there’s no bona fide theatre, arts, or culture in Limerick, don’t be winding me up now. The Galway lads* will vouch for that.

*whats left of them.

I attended Kinky Boots in the West End therey, it was sensational

There’s great reviews around Hamilton, its coming in October, its a Broadway smash

I got tickets to see it next February, pal.

how did you manage that?

I did it on ticketmaster the day they went on sale mate.

2 Likes