ROI v's AZE & SRB

Coleman’s effort for their goal were pitiful.

This is the issue alright, hoof it in to get the actual goals

It was a great ball in tbf

Apart from the tactical and organisational weaknesses it was a disappointingly lackluster performance until we went behind. We didn’t press them at all in the first half and allowed them keep the ball and move it around as they wished.

We went a goal down and had urgency and tempo all of a sudden. Some of that is just inevitable but I thought we were far too passive in the first half. We were complacent in assuming we’d be better on the ball than they were and we didn’t press them at all. Different second half when we were behind and made them work for possession. Though even then they had some good chances.

Is it curtains for Kenny ?

I agree with Sid we are a good playmaker and good striker away from been half decent. Where we get them i don’t know. Evan Ferguson is only 16.

You were saying parrot would be world class a few months ago.

2 Likes

Still has time. Most definetely not a right winger anyway. Crazy from Kenny to play him there.

Kenny must be really regretting taking the job. Imagine if he stayed with 21s and let somebody else have the senior job. He’d be a national hero bud know.

We hadn’t bottomed out under big mick and Kenny tried to start the rebuild in the middle of a decent campaign.

It’s all about timing in sport and Kennys timing is awful. Too many of his 21s aren’t getting regular game time either at club level or have any experience at international level.

I think he’s a dead duck tbh.

There is an arrogance about the ’ We are limited but we are trying to play in the right way’ attitude that assumes the Azerbijans and Luxenburgs of the world ought just crumble in front of us. If the last 2 games proved anything its that bar Bazunu we are as bad defendeing as up front

3 Likes

Bazunu looks like he has a mistake in him every game. I’d rather Kelleher myself.

Kelleher is a cunt.

1 Like

Im from Galway, i expect that in a keeper

1 Like

I doubt it.

We would be far better off with a manager who would look to make us a hard working side who press from the front and look to force teams into mistakes and hit them on the counter. It would mesh well with the Irish football psyche and play to our strengths.

Trying to build a possession based team without a centre half who is comfortable stepping out of defence with the ball or a play maker in midfield simply won’t work.

9 Likes

From RTE website. Can you imagine what the IRFU would do if this type of rating was given to one of our Ulster representatives

James McClean 5

A standard performance from McClean. Tried his utmost but needs vast swathes of open country to make anything happen and lacks the flair and creativity to operate in tight spaces. Often resembles a tractor trying to rev its engines to escape a muddy field.

Once again, intent on leaving the first man with a prize collection of bruises on his thigh.

2 Likes

I was thinking before today that Adam Idah might make a good winger - great outside the box but no finishing ability or poachers instinct. Parrott is the more natural striker of the two. I wonder can Idah cross it?

Spot on pre-game analysis. After-timing because I wasn’t online but I swear, I really do, that I had the same views. I saw the team listed and was trying to figure it out. Then it dawned on me that he’d changed the shape and went with 3-4-3. Not only that but a central midfield two of Cullen and Molumby. I just didn’t see why he thought that was the right call.

If we want to dominate possession and control games against these type of sides then we need a functioning midfield. We pretty much need 3 in there in the modern game against anyone to give that control. And someone with a bit of technique and guile would be good too. Molumby is very raw and lacks positional discipline.

I feared it would be disjointed, due to the shape and then the personnel chosen too. I thought midweek would signal the beginning of the phasing out of McClean. Don’t know where he was going with this and the Molumby selection. Two lads that are a bit rash and weak enough technically. Parrott playing wide right of a narrow three too?

I get freshening it up after a tough game three days ago and ahead of another one in three days again, but the selection was way off.

2 Likes

We were hard working the other night. Kenny has been able to knock respectable away performances out of the team. But the team seems to work less hard at home, there seems to be a drop off. It’s like there’s a mental block there that when the team has to be on the front foot that they can stand off defensively. That’s the manager’s fault. Even if you want to play a passing game that shouldn’t be in conflict with hard work in a defensive sense. Although I think part of it is demoralisation at the realisation that the team is trying to play in a way that it can’t.

Cullen is probably the only player even half resembling a playmaker we have. And he needs two men beside him. We had no advanced midfielder to link midfield and attack, which we needed.

So instead we went back to first principles: stick it in the mixer. And I don’t think that was the plan, it was panic.

1 Like

What a post. :joy::joy::joy: