Rory McIlroy

You’re probably wearing your orange Liverpool away jersey as you posted that.

2 Likes

Another swing and a miss… you are absolutely seething here with pure rage at being outed as an Uncle Paddy.

1 Like

But it’s OK for Mary Lou to say it, because she’s a Shinner. Some logic you employ lad.

This is all inside your imagination.

You can’t understand why and how she used it? Really? Maybe bob is right

1 Like

This is not a political discussion in my view, it’s a typical witch hunt from the sheepish element on TFK, the same fellas who use the ironic term ‘oirish’ and so on,
I don’t condone or criticise his use of the term Londonderry, it’s just a word and if I felt he meant harm in it’s use I’d feel differently. There’s a fair bit of hypocrisy at play here though.

I’ll leave it at that if you want? If you want to educate me please cite why you feel that the golfer chose to offend you.

He chose to go along with and accept a term that was imposed as an act of subjugation. In the good old days the ruc would regularly stop catholics at checkpoints and ask them where they were going- you weren’t going anywhere if you said Derry. They’d let you sit there until you played their sectarian game. BBC ni insisted that only Londonderry would be used, just as they insisted all broadcasters wore the poppy in the run up to remembrance day. There are plenty of other examples.
It’s a city thats 80% nationalist, all of whom use the term Derry, as do many of the protestants. Most protestants use Derry unless they’re making a point. Rory won’t gain any respect in their eyes, they’ll just see him as one of the good well behaved taigs who accept their place.

You’re all over the place on this. You still haven’t explained why you think he would need to be careful, or why you and @Matty_Hislop feel it might be appropriate to use Londonderry on the BBC…

2 Likes

I’ll answer or moreso respond that but you probably won’t listen, I’m not from the North obviously so it’s my take as an outsider,
McIlroy has been subject to closer scrutiny than almost anybody as arguably Northern Ireland’s most famous person, but he’s only a young lad, there was all that olympics bullshit as an example.
He probably wants to offend nobody, now for some obviously he’s a catholic and that’s a character flaw but he’s not a political person in the slightest as far as I know, being interviewed by the BBC he may have felt it best to use Londonderry, perhaps he was badly advised or perhaps it was off the cuff,
I don’t know but I don’t want anymore part of it, I can’t know but I’m not prepared to be judge jury and executioner like the sheep

You’ve a lovely habit of perching yourself on the high moral ground and then digging a hole for yourself .
Who was he afraid of offending? His unionist masters? What’s offensive about calling the place by its name?
Do you think some people should straighten their hair in case they offend white folks?

3 Likes

look mate, I don’t want the row here, I’ve only really made one point, I haven’t perched myself anywhere, my point is that he most likely meant no disrespect to anybody, you’re reading a lot into my words

So what’s offensive about ‘Derry’? Who was he concerned about offending?

Fair play to him.

3 Likes

This never happened.

5 Likes

“a documentary maker”

And “an ex who’s Dad was from Derry”. Classic Choco fairytale.

1 Like

Never happened

Some lad with a camera phone in an Oirish bar in Canada is a “documentary maker”.

Your long held disdain for the self determination of the people of the Orkney islands has always sickened me

His Ulster rugby mates

1 Like

when @Horsebox is calling out liars on here, you know you are in a bad spot. @anon61956325 may need a rebrand after this.

1 Like