Rory McIlroy

Interesting friends of friends know him quite well including some fellow golf pros and they say he’s an incredibly generous person and very sound.

1 Like

Twisty Petey’s sister works as a hotel receptionist and said he was one of the most arrogant and obnoxious people she ever encountered in her work.

1 Like

He’s a show pony who thrives when the pressure is off.

2 Likes

19 :grin:

Grand total of 2 majors between those 3 golfers.

“Only” 19

We’ve been extremely lucky to have witnessed RMac in our time. He is one of the greats.

I was privileged to see some of his first pro tournament in the flesh, for a little lad he has some power and style :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Are they alive or dead I wonder?

Only 2 current players have more majors than him. Tiger and Mickelson.

Lads who’ve only ever swung a pick axe running down one of the all time greats. The tfk way

3 Likes

I’d agree that he doesn’t deserve to be spoken of in the same breath as two genuine greats*

*golfing greats albeit, not a sport

It’s been acknowledged that he’s not a great.

Still plenty time for him. He’s 31 so has at least a decade in his prime ahead of him. Michelsen is 50 so is done, Tiger likely won’t win another major, but could surpass Snead which imo would make him #1 given the competition he faced compared to Nicklaus. The rest of the “greats” are in single digits for majors except for Walter Hagen who last won in 1936.

Of current golfers, only DJ has more wins than Rory, is five years older and has only one major. Brooks Koepka has four majors but only 7 wins. JT will maybe win a few more majors. Spieth is done.

1 Like

He’s done

Nah, he’s still winning tournaments which is the measure of how good a player is currently. Arguably the FedEx Cup is the #1 prize in golf, and the Players Championship is the toughest tournament to win, he’s reigning champion in both.

2 Likes

Well given the majority of those are retired and he’s another 7 or 8 years at the top that’s fair going.

He hasn’t won one in years

Rory is one of the most interesting characters in world sport. Very unusual for somebody with such high profile to be so honest when asked questions. Seems well aware of the many mistakes he’s made also.

I’d say He doesn’t really care enough like a tiger to win a heap more majors. He seems to be very rounded and has lots of interests. Spends a lot of time with Niall Horan too. Obviously starting a family now as well. I’d imagine he really wants to win the masters and after that he’ll play a good bit less.

2 Likes

He’s top 20 in the history of sport.

In reality there are very few golfers who win multiple majors. Of current golfers only Michelsen who is 50 has more than Rory, and he only has 5. All of them were won when he was older than Rory, he was 34 when he won his first, and in his 40s for the last 2.

1 Like