RTE Correspondents

They’re all up there giving it the eyeballs.

It’s rarely if ever their decision to go

Poor owl Mary all at sea again this morning. Long and tortuous interview with the Polish ambassador covering all the usual bases, judicial system, primacy of EU law, LGBT+ rights. Despite the ambassador having surprisingly poor English Mary couldn’t lay a glove on her. The ambassador went off on one about the doctrine of conferral and primacy only in certain competencies and poor owl Mary was gone, lost in a sea of detail. She tried to get back on track by hectoring the ambassador about Polands record on lgbt+ rights but the ambassador was having none of it going down a rabbit hole about local councillors and they being independent of the Government and Mary chasing down after her. It was very poor radio.

5 Likes

I haven’t listened to 2fn since the days of marty whelan

All the BBC stations were in climate change mode this morning so I put on RTE. Mary was doing her best to ramp up Project Fear with Dr Colm Henry.

1 Like

I was back out of the car by the time Colm was on.

You should give their week day breakfast show a listen. Top class stuff

1 Like

The vaccine doesn’t stop transmission is her latest one. He seemed to agree.

The vaccine stops serious illness unless too many people get infected and then it doesn’t.

Kids are getting Covid at home and not in school. All said with absolute certainty based on their models.

They’ll get cracking on the booster roll out next week but you can’t get a booster until 6 months after your last vaccine.

She’s hopeless. She’s at her worst when she thinks she has someone she can go after and that she thinks her listeners will enjoy her treating with disdain. The Michael O’Leary interview was car crash stuff.

My youth was full of listening to songs recorded from his show on blank tapes.

Good thing about being the youngest in family.

He did an absolutely bizarre show a few months back about songs with the best bass guitar in them, it was a load of 20 second clips about the songs with Dave and someone else whose name I can’t remember giving quick histories of the songs and little stories etc.
It was like everything Dave does, absolutely frantic and jumping all over the place. Yet it was pretty brilliant radio.

3 Likes

2FM is an absolutely nothing station btw. I don’t know what public service it is supposed to serve.

4 Likes

Here ye go, one for anyone who likes music

https://www.rte.ie/radio/podcasts/21980669-all-about-the-bass-with-cait-oriordan/

Donners was gossiping about the possibility of Roy Keane entering “I’m a celebrity” with Doireann Garrihy and the Karl Mullen fella on the radio the other morning. Roy would be absolutely box office in the jungle to be fair but I couldn’t see him going in.

I’ve come around to the view that Donners, rather than the apparent bantersaurus simpleton, is actually a bit of a genius playing the Irish public like a fiddle. Fair play to him

1 Like

Roy is quite the narcissist, he may not be getting his fix from his current media gigs

For those of us of a certain age, Dave Fanning was a huge part of teenage/early 20 years

6 Likes

I thought she did very well myself, tje Polish lady wasn’t playing ball, nothing Mary could do about that, think that’s an unfair summation

Very interesting and very nctedibly hinest interview here now with a girl in the midst of a vicious eating disorder, tje overeating and purging type, radio 1

1 Like

Taping the fab 50 before going to midnight mass was a lovely little tradition.

4 Likes

I’d never listen live to Dave Fanning anymore but I’m subscribed to his show via my podcast app. Tis grand. I can throw on a 15 min podcast midweek while spinning down to my local cafe for my coffee. Keeps me from having to endure Claire Bryne or Pat Kenny