RTÉ Saturday/Sunday Sport

RTÉ Saturday Sport
In a world of internet and digital radio, where the curious Irish ear can find countless global radio stations to listen to, it’s all too easy to forget the quality of media available on our doorstep. The sports coverage on RTÉ Radio is second to none, and I have grabbed a short 2 minute clip of Saturday Sport below to demonstrate the breathtaking brilliance on show.

The below 2 minute excerpt is wonderfully evocative of this professionally presented broadcast. There are live scores being pinged at us from the FA Cup overseas, while all the time Darragh Maloney, Des Cahill and Tony O’Donoghue conduct their own informative conversation on some of the players below.

/original/3X/a/d/ad730940889fd2f104d20e1055b8f3a2efeb6dc6.mp3

To guide you through this clip, here’s a short chronology:

[]Tony O’Donoghue calls full-time 2-2 in Man City v Watford
[
]Tony corrects himself because it’s not yet full-time
[]A strange aside about Rochdale
[
]Darragh Maloney mentions that Alex Pearce is playing for Reading and he now plays international football for… (Darragh isn’t quite confident enough in the answer to actually finish this sentence so just lets us know he was booked).
[]Tony is asked for an update on the FA Cup but doesn’t have one.
[
]Des tells us Adam Rooney has scored for Aberdeen. This is greeted with silence so Des asks if anyone knows who he is. Darragh’s guess is “his brother” (presumably Wayne’s) but Des says no and then Tony confirms he doesn’t know him either.
[*]Des is clearly running out of confidence at this stage so doesn’t actually tell anyone who Adam Rooney is and Tony rescues the situation by just giving out another score.

1 Like

That’s almost as funny as all the disappearing posts today

That is extremely funny.

Christ above that’s cringe-worthy shit. And why are they calling out latest score updates from lower league soccer leagues from a foreign country???

@Rocko, if you can you should throw up the interview Des had with Davy Russell which wasn’t too far away from what you posted above. Equally as cringeworthy.

[quote=“Rocko, post: 893366, member: 1”]In a world of internet and digital radio, where the curious Irish ear can find countless global radio stations to listen to, it’s all too easy to forget the quality of media available on our doorstep. The sports coverage on RTÉ Radio is second to none, and I have grabbed a short 2 minute clip of Saturday Sport below to demonstrate the breathtaking brilliance on show.

The below 2 minute excerpt is wonderfully evocative of this professionally presented broadcast. There are live scores being pinged at us from the FA Cup overseas, while all the time Darragh Maloney, Des Cahill and Tony O’Donoghue conduct their own informative conversation on some of the players below.

[LIST]
[
[
]Darragh Maloney mentions that Alex Pearce is playing for Reading and he now plays international football for… (Darragh isn’t quite confident enough in the answer to actually finish this sentence so just lets us know he was booked).
[
]Des tells us Adam Rooney has scored for Aberdeen. This is greeted with silence so Des asks if anyone knows who he is. Darragh’s guess is “his brother” (presumably Wayne’s) but Des says no and then Tony confirms he doesn’t know him either.
[*]Des is clearly running out of confidence at this stage so doesn’t actually tell anyone who Adam Rooney is and Tony rescues the situation by just giving out another score.
[/LIST][/quote]

:smiley:

Who is Adam Rooney?

[quote=“Rocko, post: 893366, member: 1”]In a world of internet and digital radio, where the curious Irish ear can find countless global radio stations to listen to, it’s all too easy to forget the quality of media available on our doorstep. The sports coverage on RTÉ Radio is second to none, and I have grabbed a short 2 minute clip of Saturday Sport below to demonstrate the breathtaking brilliance on show.

[LIST]
[
[
[
[/LIST]
[/quote]

:clap:

That’s superb.

Cahill obviously ‘supports’ Rochdale.

That’s superb.

Cahill obviously ‘supports’ Rochdale.[/quote]
From memory, it dates back to a thing they did when he used do the sports news on the 2FM breakfast show back in the 90s, I’d say it was when Ian Dempsey was hosting it. They decided they’d “adopt” a lower league club to support, and hit on Rochdale for some reason.

That Adam Rooney bit is priceless.

[quote=“braz83, post: 893421, member: 390”]From memory, it dates back to a thing they did when he used do the sports news on the 2FM breakfast show back in the 90s, I’d say it was when Ian Dempsey was hosting it. They decided they’d “adopt” a lower league club to support, and hit on Rochdale for some reason.

That Adam Rooney bit is priceless.[/quote]

You’re right. I remember that now. All part of his ABU shite.

He’s an odious cunt.

I am surprised and disappointed with Maloney in all this.

The incompetence there is staggering.

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 893424, member: 24”]You’re right. I remember that now. All part of his ABU shite.

He’s an odious cunt.[/quote]
That Rochdale spiel was fucking painful as I recall.

“An update on the FA Cup?”

“Do I have an update for you”

Good grief.

Brilliant. Reckon Maloney got confused with Alex Bruce perhaps

O’Donoghue: ‘It’s full time at the Eithad and it’s finished 2-2.’

Some time later…

O’Donoghue: ‘Wait it’s not actually full time.’

Cahill: ‘Yeah I didn’t think it was full time judging by the time’

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 893472, member: 24”]O’Donoghue: ‘It’s full time at the Eithad and it’s finished 2-2.’

Some time later…

O’Donoghue: ‘Wait it’s not actually full time.’

Cahill: ‘Yeah I didn’t think it was full time judging by the time’[/quote]

Tony O’Donoghue always comes across as an utter simpleton. He went through a phase of trying to be hard hitting with his questioning of Trap prior to his departure and then he tried the same with Noel King. But, like I say, he lacks basic intelligence. Most of us have been watching football since we were children and know that a 3pm kick-off means a finish at 4.45pm or a bit later. Tony, despite a few decades working in sport at the national broadcaster, hadn’t twigged this.

I can see Rocko having to put up a new list of people we can’t mention this week.

Des Cahill is one of the worst Irish people in history.

The irony of @Rocko highlighting the incompetence of anyone else on the weekend that he destroyed half the board, while performing a simple administrative task, is, I hope, not lost on forumites.