Rugby- Rape Culture and Misogyny

He ran around the field after Aidan o’Mahony for 30 minutes!!

**[quote=“Copper_pipe, post:40, topic:25979, full:true”]
He played for Limerick at one point too I believe
[/quote]

:scream::scream:**

Was involved the famous night in Portlaoise against Wexford too.

Did he come on that night? :thinking:

Any night I’ve seen him out in Newcastle he’d be fairly smeary

1 Like

He did, helped set up the late goal if I recall correctly.

Was he convicted for a finish? My memory is going.

The parent who felt to need to ring up local radio with an exclusive was a right busy body to stick her nose into something that had nothing to do with her.

1 Like

Mallow always seemed like a horrible place.

But thats a horrific story.

It sounds very much to me like something that should be publicised and confronted rather than brushed under the carpet.

Such an incident, which is apparently a repeat thing rather than a one off, involves every parent in the school, I would think.

Why publicised?

Because publicising a problem makes it an issue in general society. That’s the only way things change.

There’s no way this sort of thing only exists at one school in isolation.

1 Like

Terrible things have been scrawled, scraped or carved into the back of the jacks’ doors in most schools since time immemorial without the end of the world coming to pass. I’m sure this school would have managed fine without Neil Prendiville getting involved.

4 Likes

Schools deal with one crisis after another, many are much worse than this. You think they should all be public knowledge?

What did prendiville say?

There isn’t alot worse than this mate though. The shit that went on in schools years ago wasn’t dealt with alright but this does.

I wouldn’t dismiss this but there’s not much that happens in society that doesn’t happen in schools. Any racket going… The schools have rules.and guidelines that are centred.around the children’s best interests. Publicising stuff doesn’t come into it.

2 Likes

An interesting point. Where is the line drawn through. Look what happened in schools (by people looking after kids and swept). I think if a wrong was done to my kid in this way anyway it would be out there cause I’d go ape over it.

Certain things are totally unacceptable and people are entitled to know if such is happening and what is being done to combat it, both at the particular school and in general society in combatting such a culture. Racism is one, homophobia is another. A deeply threatening culture of portraying female students as potential rape victims is certainly another.

The media were rightly all over the KPMG e-mails scandal where male employees rated the desirability of new female employees some years back.

But this is way more serious.

The bottom line is a lot of men dismiss this sort of stuff because it doesn’t affect them and they think it’s funny. It’s not funny, it’s utterly pathetic, and creates a culture where some men think they can do what they like around women. If you don’t confront a problem, it festers.

Who said anything about not confronting a problem? You think you’ve the moral high ground because you can trot out the usual pc mantras about homophobia and racism?
Schools are dealing with this crap day in and day out. They’ve policies in place but ultimately it’ll come down to a caring staff.
“A culture”? Catch a grip.

8 Likes

That’s your right as a parent.