Rugby- Rape Culture and Misogyny

The words of former Bank of Ireland, Bank Manager and Ballymena, Ulster, Ireland and British Lions captain Willie John McBride have fallen on deaf ears.

All carefully choreographed

Disgrace that they have decided not to renew their contract because of mob mentality.
Ulster rugby have made a cowardly decision, a knee jerk reaction, but essentially what they feel is a financial decision. The initial shouts after any decisive events are those that want to ram their views down the throats of others. Sponsors and Ulster rugby have reacted to the mob here. A team sport is about backing the players on your team, some example Ulster rugby have shown for team play.
I have the upmost sympathy for any victim of a sexual assault, the judicial system seems to be very harsh on them in the way these cases are investigated and I fully support those who decide to go out marching to change this.
BUT, Jackson and Gilroy were found innocent of the charge of rape. What we have seen since is a witch hunt which has been justified because of misogynistic text messages. Yes, they were disgusting messages, yes they did demean women but I bet if you look through the phones and the history of the people in ulster rugby who made this decision, of the people in bank of ireland and other sponsors who Ulster rugby may have feel pressured them into making this decision, and of those who took out ads in newspapers and attended protests I’d bet you’d find a fair few distasteful messages or things that have been said or done in the past. Look through any of our phones and you’d find a lot of shit.
I would have no problem with Ulster rugby not renewing their contracts because of a loss of form or if they didn’t think they were capable of getting up to the same level of performance as they were at a year or two ago. But they have reacted to the mob.
These two players have been hung out to dry and I wish them both the best in their efforts to rebuild their lives

8 Likes

Strength in depth at out half is threadbare enough. This is a very bad rugby decision. The snowflakes should have been told where to shove it:

2 Likes

CG wasn’t fingered for rape?

Apologies Chucks, I meant Jackson and Olding

They were found not guilty, not innocent.

1 Like

With all due respect Massey, every second person keeps saying that they were found ‘not guilty’ and not innocent. I could be mistaken but in any criminal trial is the verdict not always delivered as ‘guilty’ or ‘not guilty’? When reporting the verdict, most media will use the term ‘X was found innocent’ when a not guilty verdict has been delivered. But in this case, people keep jumping on the ‘found not guilty’ line?

By saying this, are you trying to infer that because they haven’t been found innocent that they have been found ‘a little bit guilty’?
These decisions are black and white, if they have been found not guilty of murder, that means that they are innocent of murder. If you are found not guilty of theft, that means that you are innocent of theft. If you are found not guilty of rape, that means that you are innocent of rape.

4 Likes

OJ was found innocent,

No it doesn’t, it means there wasn’t sufficient evidence to find them guilty

Oh right. So is the term ‘innocent’ used when the juries verdict is being read out in criminal cases?

Exactly, they are not guilty of anything.

So every person found not guilty actually did the crime they just got away it?

Don’t think it even needs to be pointed out how dangerous and stupid that way of thinking is.

8 Likes

Yup. Every one ever found not guilty was actually guilty… 21st century justice - trial by screaming Mary’s on social media. What a world…

No point even electing a jury anymore, a Twitter poll is the way to go.

11 Likes

:grin:

Donkey Ford’s must do a roaring trade serving up their finest onto your shoulders.

Has anybody said this?

You’re a dangerous lunatic

You’ve moved on from your chips to straw now, I see. :grin:

I’m terrified of what you and your small minded bigot ilk will do to our world. Terrified.

That’s only one of the many, many things you’re terrified of.