Rugby World Cup 2015

I think all members of the board will be delighted to hear that both Joe Schmidt and Richardt Strauss have today received Irish citizenship and Irish passports.

That’s analysis that will insult Samoa supporters the world over.

Sure most of their players are playing for England and New Zealand these days anyway

I’ve just realised this thing goes on for 6 fucking weeks. Christ this will be insufferable.

1 Like

Only insufferable if Ireland go well, which going by history is unlikely. There’s usually a few cracking games and an England collapse in the mix. I expect France to mug us off and go on a run. Aside from the hype about Ireland I actually like the rugby World Cup.

I agree. Rugby isn’t a bad spectator sport at all when played well. Unfortunately all that Six Nations and Heineken Cup shite is absolutely terrible stuff played by boring teams

Is there not a load of mismatches at the pool stages ?

No mate. It’s the World Cup. The teams have all been through a rigorous qualifying campaign to gain entry.

1 Like

As you alluded to earlier, Southern Hemisphere rugby can be cracking to watch, all out attack, good passing skill, and all stemming from the way the breakdown in reffed and a tendency to not pull back knock ons as quick. Two simple changes that make it brilliant to watch. And despite having a forward oriented tradition Argentina have no problem throwing it around. The turgid northern hemisphere stuff is like watching paint dry in comparison. Super rugby and state of origin (in league obviously) are what rugby could be. schmidt coached the best back line in Europe in clermont, but knows how slow and limited Ireland are so has to cut his cloth accordingly and give them a gamplan where all limitations are covered. A few November friendly wins and rugby writers and the majority of the fan base who are clueless about the game allow this to go unmentioned. It’s referenced that the game plan suits Ireland but I’ve never seen it said that its all Ireland can do. Schmidt is a genius though.

2 Likes

You’d think so but a few Georgian mine workers and Namibian farmers made the number two ranked nation look stupid before.

Terrific stuff

Three champions of Irish rugby have been granted citizenship at a special ceremony in Dublin city centre.

Joe Schmidt described it as “fantastic” to be able to bring the Irish Rugby Team “across the water” to compete in the World Cup in the coming weeks, and to do so on an Irish passport.

Born in New Zealand, the Ireland head coach said that he felt a little bit more Irish after the ceremony.

He added that he and his family felt quite Irish anyway, and remembered a time when he didn’t understand his son’s accent when he pronounced “RDS”.

The only thing he was unhappy about was the photo on his new citizenship certificate. He joked: “It looks like it was taken after we didn’t win on Saturday”.

South African born Hooker Richardt Strauss was also made an Irish citizen today.

He is part of the Irish Squad competing in the World Cup which begins in a little over two weeks time.

Mr Strauss said he was delighted to be an official Irish citizen but added that putting on the Ireland jersey was always something special for him.

He said: “From day one that I got the opportunity to do it I was very proud,”.

IRFU Participation Rugby Manager Olly Hodges moved from Sydney to his wife Emer’s home city of Limerick in 2002.

He is currently involved in Ireland’s bid for the Rugby World Cup 2023.

“I suppose my accent still needs a little bit of work” he joked after the ceremony, adding that it was great to be finally recognised as a citizen of Ireland.

1 Like

Why have they been given Irish citizenship? What is in it for the cunts?

All of the the glory that comes with being a citizen of the greatest country of Earth.

Plus they probably want to pay their water charges with minimal hassle.

I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned it here before, but I despise that prick of a man Strauss.

Why pal?

He’s a Saffer cunt. Saffers are generally cunts, but at least they are proud of being the cunts they are. This fucker doesnt even have that going for him, and now he’s completely turned his back on them for an aul passport and a few bob. Christ he’s got nothing going for him.

1 Like

Sky Sports are advertising tomorrow’s England-Ireland game as a “World Cup Warm Up”. Is it not a test match?

Is there a difference? I believe the Millenium Cup will be up for grabs, it doesn’t get more Test than that.

England will beat us out the gate.

No it is not a test match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMCHyvkdftA