September 11 memories

Any remarks I make aren’t meant to be in any way snide Tinnion. The bravery and unselfishness shown by the responders that day is remarkable, for men to run into those buildings with no regard whatsoever for their own safety to save others is something I’m not sure I could find in myself. The personal stories I listened to last night on NPR News were at once heartbreaking and uplifting.

But I think they were sold a lemon by a truly evil group of people who used the suffering of the families of the 9/11 victims to persue their own terrorist agenda. Even at the time, when I saw that cunt Bush with his arm around a firefighter a couple of days after it, with his bullhorn banging on about revenge while people chanted USA USA around him, I thought they were getting fucked over by one of the biggest con jobs in history.

I don’t believe any of the consiracy theories about 9/11, I’ll leave that to the whack jobs. But the evidence that Bush and his cabal were specifically warned about an impending terrorist threat in August 2001 is overwhelming. And what did they do? They passed legislation taking $650 million out of counter terrorism and into Star Wars.

In any other civlised society, the government would have fallen in the aftermath of Sept 11th. But America wanted vengeance and think they got it.

1 Like

+1 Tinnion. Internet warriors all. Cunts.

Looks like Jim Corr travelled along the M7 recently; all the flyovers have slogans relating to a 9/11 cover up sprayed onto the support columns. Stuff like “Google 9/11 Truth” & “9/11 was an inside job”

You’ve lost the plot completely now with this ‘internet warriors’ thing. Giving out about American foreign policy does not correlate to personally slagging Michael Shields and others.

Couple of posters on here just saying shit to get the wind up Farmer, a dog with a stick in its hole could tell you that. Big brave men alright.

I would say that 9/11 was the biggest event by far of our generation, and possibly since World War 2. When I say biggest I mean significant but certainly not the most tragic. It was significant in the manner that USA, the world’s biggest superpower was attacked with such ferocity and that icons of Western Capitalism (Twin Towers) were destroyed. All this was done by a terrorist organisation.

Of course it is tragic. Loss of life on that scale is a tragedy. But I think it is very warped when you see the world remembering the victims of 9/11, and when there is nothing done for victims of the Iraqi war for example (of which there were far, far more). Lest not forget, this was a war which was deemed unecessary by the United Nations and was justified on the basis on Iraq having weapons of mass destruction. It turns out that they didn’t have any. Now, in my eyes. that is pretty goddam wrong.

Disgraceful comments.

I think all deaths are sad except those of evil people like despots, murderers, huns, paedophiles and certain Offaly folk.

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 621721”]

I would say that 9/11 was the biggest event by far of our generation, and possibly since World War 2. [/quote]

Ayrton Senna’s death was way more important.

:unsure:

Never forget.

Ah the 9th of November

The real travesty that day was that I got talking to @PhattPike on the school bus after it. Now I can’t get rid of him

3 Likes

A day that will live in infamy.

The day the Saudis attacked America and then got them to take out their enemies as well. They must still have a laugh about it

2 Likes

It certainly will. It’s my wedding anniversary

1 Like

The image of the doomed Cantor Fitzgerald employees desperately attempting to escape the heat of the fires by hanging out of the office windows is what always comes to my mind on this date, all 658 of them who went to work that day perished. A day all of us will remember vividly until we go ourselves. RIP

060724_911_bcol_3a.grid-6x2

2 Likes

The Fitzgeralds hadnt an ounce of luck in America.

Yeah everyone from CF who were on floors 101-105 died. There are 1 or 2 who by pure luck were just not meant to be there. Taken from the Atlantic magazine - “David Kravette, a broker at Cantor Fitzgerald, survived because one of the clients he was meeting with that morning had forgotten his driver’s license and needed to be checked in at the security desk; normally, he would have sent his assistant down, but she was eight and a half months pregnant, and he figured he was doing her a favor by not dispatching her to the lobby. Perhaps most amazingly, Monica O’Leary, who also worked at Cantor Fitzgerald, survived because the firm had laid her off not even a full 24 hours prior to the attacks. (She would later rejoin the firm after the attacks. Because all of the human-resources personnel who would have processed her layoff were killed on 9/11, she was never even taken off the payroll.)”

2 Likes

I was driving down to Waterford that day. The first hint of it was a Newsflash on Joe Duffy that a plane had crashed into the WTC. No idea whether it was an accident or not. Spent the rest of the day looking at Sky News.

1 Like