Should Gerry Adams stay on as Leader of Sinn Fein?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/sinn-fin-td-approached-about-getting-someone-shot-claims-councillor-36572990.html

Just joined the site… Time for him to go. Party needs a new impetus and time to move away from the internal strife and allegations if they are to increase their strength in the republic.

Edit: Yes i know he’s going as president but i mean leave the stage totally. Shouldn’t be seen at all.

Just joined Sinn Fein?

Just joined and didn’t know he was leaving?

1 Like

First of Vincent Browne’s two part documentary about the great man has just started on TV3.

2 Likes

Enjoyed first part.
Vinny looks very unimpressed when camera is on him.

The I, The I , The IRA.

#ThankYouGerry

Thank you for being our voice when they wouldn’t let us hear yours.

Gerry was the voice of Wannabe accountant pre pubescent children from Wexford in the early 90s?

1 Like

Yes, along with recently retired councillor Anthony Kelly, Mick Wallace TD, hotelier Liam Griffin and Oasis.

1 Like

Vincent Browne doc on Adams was an odd watch.
Spent most of it giving a history lesson, but Gerry got honorable mentions by all except Seamus Mallon who cut the back off him.

Mayor of New York declares today as Gerry Adams Day http://jrnl.ie/3909811

2 Likes

Unreal scenes… Chosen by Mandela to be an usher at his funeral… Now the Mayor of the greatest City on earth…
Gerry Adams honoured by New York Mayor Bill De Blasio this morning who presented him with a Proclamation before declaring today as ‘Gerry Adams Day’ stating,

“I want to honour him for pursuit of a goal that makes so much sense – a goal for a United Ireland.” https://t.co/KatHmQddcj

2 Likes

Brendan Howling is apoplectic over this apparently. An added bonus

1 Like

Adams will be remembered and revered around the world forever…Whereas no one will really remember any parliamentary leader we’ve had since Dev… they’ll be remembered here for being crooks alright but that’s about the height of it… An Irish man picked to be an usher at Mandela’s funeral and not a peep about it ---- thank fuck for social media, the establishment can’t keep a lid on that!!

All Irishmen are American and all Americans are Irish.

5 Likes

Ultimately he hung on too long and has damaged his/your party in the process, set ye back a few years anyway which may not ultimately mean much.

It is what it is… The party is absolutely flying it on the ground- loads of young people joining it. The amount of work it does in many communities across Ireland is unrecognized. We are building an army (no, not that kind) of support across the country. Where the old political parties have abandoned the young and the working class long ago, we are making savage in roads. In 10 years we will have massive numbers… Most people u25 know little of the troubles and have no time for the establishment crooks and do not get their news from traditional establishment sources like most people 40 plus do. Mary Lou will bring the party on massively.

3 Likes

They’ve been needing to remove those direct links to the past for a while, Adams’s retirement allows them those opportunities, I can’t understand why he delayed it for so long, it will take a while but there’s no reason they can’t make a huge impression with the right people

The party’s in great hands with the likes of you taking on the baton.

1 Like