Should Gerry Adams stay on as Leader of Sinn Fein?

I’d say he will be made a freeman of TFK after this.

[QUOTE=“Sidney, post: 1035037, member: 183”]Funny how earlier it was all “Adams must go” and “Adams was lying”, yet now you have admitted that it’s Fine Gael who are lying and have revised your expectations significantly downwards as to what you want to happen to Adams after being clamped on this thread.

Ulterior Motive is an appropriate name for you.[/QUOTE]

:slight_smile: Adams is lying. Adams should go. I haven’t changed my position at all. I was outlining why politicians probe at weaknesses.

I think we should all chip in and buy Art a nutri bullet

From May this year :smiley:

Speaking in Dublin yesterday to the Sunday Independent, Ms McDonald and Ms Boylan defended their leader Gerry Adams’s handling of the abuse claims.
Mr Adams was severely criticised for not informing authorities for several years despite knowing about the claims involving his brother Liam and his niece Aine.
Ms McDonald said comparisons between the party and the Catholic Church were “malicious”.
“I don’t accept them at all, at all. In the Catholic Church what you saw was an orchestrated campaign of cover-up and concealment. A form of bullying of very young victims,” she said.
“That is not the case here. The case of Gerry’s brother Liam was catastrophic for that family, for Aine in particular. He has now faced trial. Gerry was a witness in that trial against his brother. Liam Adams is now in prison.”
She added: “I think it is wrong, far-fetched at best, malicious at worst, to suggest there are parallels between Sinn Fein and the Catholic Church. Gerry at every stage did the best that he could in the context of that scenario.”

[QUOTE=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 1035048, member: 2272”]From May this year :smiley:

Speaking in Dublin yesterday to the Sunday Independent, Ms McDonald and Ms Boylan defended their leader Gerry Adams’s handling of the abuse claims.
Mr Adams was severely criticised for not informing authorities for several years despite knowing about the claims involving his brother Liam and his niece Aine.
Ms McDonald said comparisons between the party and the Catholic Church were “malicious”.
“I don’t accept them at all, at all. In the Catholic Church what you saw was an orchestrated campaign of cover-up and concealment. A form of bullying of very young victims,” she said.
“That is not the case here. The case of Gerry’s brother Liam was catastrophic for that family, for Aine in particular. He has now faced trial. Gerry was a witness in that trial against his brother. Liam Adams is now in prison.”
She added: “I think it is wrong, far-fetched at best, malicious at worst, to suggest there are parallels between Sinn Fein and the Catholic Church. Gerry at every stage did the best that he could in the context of that scenario.”
[/QUOTE]

Where’s the cover up?

[QUOTE=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 1035048, member: 2272”]From May this year :smiley:

[/QUOTE]

where is the cover up?

o_O - are you serious

their only concern was to cover it up

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/republic-of-ireland/ira-kangaroo-courts-man-says-he-was-also-a-victim-of-abuse-with-story-almost-identical-to-mairia-cahill-30683311.html

He claimed that he and his brother, who were aged 17 and 14 respectively at the time of the sexual assaults, were also “warned of the consequences” of either going to the press or making a complaint to the gardai

[QUOTE=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 1035051, member: 2272”]o_O - are you serious

their only concern was to cover it up

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/republic-of-ireland/ira-kangaroo-courts-man-says-he-was-also-a-victim-of-abuse-with-story-almost-identical-to-mairia-cahill-30683311.html

He claimed that he and his brother, who were aged 17 and 14 respectively at the time of the sexual assaults, were also “warned of the consequences” of either going to the press or making a complaint to the gardai[/QUOTE]

Again I will ask how the Mairia Cahill case was covered up by the Provos.

:oops:

But, in an act of stunning revisionism, Mr Adams fails to point out in his apologia that Catholics were murdered by the IRA for co-operation with the RUC. It was the IRA who murdered civilians who assisted the RUC

Mr Adams insists that the role of the IRA in failing to act appropriately to deal with abuse reflects “an attitude within Ireland which did not then understand or know as we now do, how deeply embedded abuse is in our society”. Bishops and other Catholic Church leaders have been ridiculed for making similar statements. Is Mr Adams claiming that he and Sinn FĂ©in are on a ‘learning curve’ about sexual abuse? If he is, it’s hardly credible Ms Cahill’s allegations refer to 1997, not the 1950s

http://www.irishcatholic.ie/article/sinn-f%C3%A9ins-hypocrisy-abuse-exposed

this is too easy

Ms. Cahill, said that after she had confided in some members of the I.R.A., she was summoned to a series of “kangaroo courts” where she was interrogated by the group’s top members and warned not to go to the police or even tell her parents

[QUOTE=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 1035054, member: 2272”]this is too easy

Ms. Cahill, said that after she had confided in some members of the I.R.A., she was summoned to a series of “kangaroo courts” where she was interrogated by the group’s top members and warned not to go to the police or even tell her parents[/QUOTE]

Would she be vehemently questioned by a defence lawyer in a court of law?

[QUOTE=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 1035054, member: 2272”]this is too easy

Ms. Cahill, said that after she had confided in some members of the I.R.A., she was summoned to a series of “kangaroo courts” where she was interrogated by the group’s top members and warned not to go to the police or even tell her parents[/QUOTE]

and some said go to the police, some advised councelling

it turns out the people that told her not to go to the police were correct as she didnt get anywhere through the courts

[/QUOTE]

Comparing this to the history of abuse within the church is facile, it’s not tenable in the face of even the most basic analysis. To offer just one small point of distinction, the Catholic Church was not involved in a military conflict with the Irish state. At least not to the best of my knowledge.

This persistent decontextualisation of Sinn Fein’s activities in the North is maddening. I’ve always criticised the IRA campaign and would not regard myself as a nationalist at all, but to blithely ignore the bitter historical conflict within which Northern nationalists were embedded is as intellectually dishonest as it is idiotic.

Whether you supported the campaign or not, surely you have to recognise that it was a unique set of circumstances and that any events or actions have to be considered in that context. What makes the hypocrisy so especially galling is that the two major political parties in Southern politics emerged from a period that was itself an episode of the historical conflict from which the current manifestation of Sinn Fein emerged.

And far from seeking peace and reconciliation, or publicly and openly coming to terms with all the violence and atrocities of the past, both those parties decided that the best way to deal with it was to simply not talk about what happened for several decades.

To see them now act like Sinn Fein are some alien entity, completely removed from the story of our state and with a history that we cannot possibly accept or comprehend, it’s just pathetic and disgustingly cynical. To glorify one episode of violence while at the same time acting like another episode in the same chain of conflict is reprehensible and unforgivable is a position worthy only of contempt.

It’s a singular conflict, if you accept the premise of Irish nationhood at all you cannot simply cherry-pick the episodes of violence that suit you and ignore the rest. The political establishment of the Irish state can’t just wash its hands of its own history. They are all embroiled in it. Political opportunism and the sniff of a few votes is no excuse to forget that.

the famous IFSC branch of The IRA really rallying to the cause here

[QUOTE=“Watch The Break, post: 1035059, member: 260”]Comparing this to the history of abuse within the church is facile, it’s not tenable in the face of even the most basic analysis. To offer just one small point of distinction, the Catholic Church was not involved in a military conflict with the Irish state. At least not to the best of my knowledge.

This persistent decontextualisation of Sinn Fein’s activities in the North is maddening. I’ve always criticised the IRA campaign and would not regard myself as a nationalist at all, but to blithely ignore the bitter historical conflict within which Northern nationalists were embedded is as intellectually dishonest as it is idiotic.

Whether you supported the campaign or not, surely you have to recognise that it was a unique set of circumstances and that any events or actions have to be considered in that context. What makes the hypocrisy so especially galling is that the two major political parties in Southern politics emerged from a period that was itself an episode of the historical conflict from which the current manifestation of Sinn Fein emerged.

And far from seeking peace and reconciliation, or publicly and openly coming to terms with all the violence and atrocities of the past, both those parties decided that the best way to deal with it was to simply not talk about what happened for several decades.

To see them now act like Sinn Fein are some alien entity, completely removed from the story of our state and with a history that we cannot possibly accept or comprehend, it’s just pathetic and disgustingly cynical. To glorify one episode of violence while at the same time acting like another episode in the same chain of conflict is reprehensible and unforgivable is a position worthy only of contempt.

It’s a singular conflict, if you accept the premise of Irish nationhood at all you cannot simply cherry-pick the episodes of violence that suit you and ignore the rest. The political establishment of the Irish state can’t just wash its hands of its own history. They are all embroiled in it. Political opportunism and the sniff of a few votes is no excuse to forget that.[/QUOTE]

Good post. Jack Lynch when taoiseach and the Irish Army colluded with the IRA in the north. People seem to have very short memories. I find it very hard to believe that no one in government circles was aware that this type of thing was going on. In saying that Adams needs to go.

It takes supreme courage to do what art did. He has left a lot of broken hearts on the far right but has been welcomed with open arms into the broader republican family. What I admire most about art is the conviction with which he holds his views, yes they may change and alter over time but the conviction is steadfast and that is rare in the times we live in. Well done art, well done.

+1

Art is top dog around here these days and mac & tan are fair game with no one to protect them now

Jack Lynch was a quisling and certainly did not collude with Provos.

I think Adams should stay. SF would be far more voter friendly in the south if he went.

[QUOTE=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 1035053, member: 2272”] :oops:

But, in an act of stunning revisionism, Mr Adams fails to point out in his apologia that Catholics were murdered by the IRA for co-operation with the RUC. It was the IRA who murdered civilians who assisted the RUC

Mr Adams insists that the role of the IRA in failing to act appropriately to deal with abuse reflects “an attitude within Ireland which did not then understand or know as we now do, how deeply embedded abuse is in our society”. Bishops and other Catholic Church leaders have been ridiculed for making similar statements. Is Mr Adams claiming that he and Sinn FĂ©in are on a ‘learning curve’ about sexual abuse? If he is, it’s hardly credible Ms Cahill’s allegations refer to 1997, not the 1950s

http://www.irishcatholic.ie/article/sinn-féins-hypocrisy-abuse-exposed[/QUOTE]
A link from the Irish Catholic. Are you for fucking real?