Sinn Fein - Populism and Partionism

Well they were duly elected so yes they did have a mandate?

FG and FF covering up the Dublin and Monaghan bombings was an amazing achievement.

1 Like

You could say that but bringing everyone together towards that was something else.

There were, and still are to a degree, people in that movement who had given their lives for a United Ireland. They were told the war was worth it as they would succeed. That was their unwavering belief.

‘And now there is to be no more war, falling short of our objective, but stick with us’. I’d imagine it took a lot of persuasion to turn an organisation as committed as the IRA.

1 Like

That wasn’t my point but whatever.

If the executions after 1916 are commonly thought to be the turning point towards sinn fein and away from redmonds party what was the modern turning point away from sdlp towards sinn fein?

IRA ceasefire clearly.

SF putting politics first.

The SDLP had a long history or being good little boys for the Brits.

Genuinely do you have an example of this?

1 Like

Was it that simple and sudden? Sdlp were always the biggest for years. Was it as simple as a lot of ordinary people in North wouldn’t vote for sinn fein while the ira were active? Fascinating historical parallel either way.

I think the IRA ceasefire created big changes in terms of politics in general in the six counties. The more staunch sides of the divide came to the fore, SF and DUP, while the more moderate UUP and SDLP collapsed.

1 Like

Backing internment for one.

1 Like

Did they really? Fuck.

Because during those years, the political aspect was secondary to the armed campaign

I recall seeing a clip of Gerry Fitt being vociferously anti internment actually.

What was your point?

That they still had the military ability to carry it out.

That seems like a complete lie. Anything I can see online is that they were completely opposed to internment and started a campaign to get their supporters to stop paying their rent for council houses in opposition to it

Does the same go for the DUP overtaking the UUP?

I don’t think that takes too much military ability plenty of nutters have planted home made bombs