Sleep - a thread to document your sleeping habits

Not really. Take her into your bed til she goes back to sleep, then always put her back in her own is what I do. It seems to calm them down and when they wake , the hope is that they’ll remember the warm safe bit rather than the scary bit. I think it’s important that they wake up still in their own bed safe and sound. I can still vividly remember my night terrors. A recurring dream of giant robots with wheels on their feet, sort of like tank tracks, but walking, stomping to get me. I think it was probably the sound of the blood pulsing in my ears, but who knows.
I always leave a little sliver of light into the room, but just enough so it’s not pitch dark. I’m not sure does that help.

1 Like

My problem would be that I would fall asleep in the bed thereby negating the bolded part. Need to get back to that habit and suffer it out. I’d agree on the sliver of light bit alright.

What age? Our lad has woke shrieking like a feckin banshee some nights. We used to pick him up to settle him and then sit by the cot till he drifted off or take him into bed but I found recently that he calmed down once he knew 1 of us was there and if we left the door open so his room wasn’t pitch dark after he woke that it kept him calm and he drifted off to sleep again.

I fall back to sleep too, but always wake again at some point before they do, then I lift them back into their own bed, even if it’s nearly time to get up.
I suspect it’s mainly just weathering the storm to be honest.
If they have night terrors earlier, before we go to bed, I wake them by cuddling them into me, and then ask would they like to sleep in our bed, which they always do. That settles them, and when we go to bed, it’s back to their own.
My young fella you could carry upside down by one leg, and he wouldn’t stir. He is an uncannily deep sleeper.

Closing in on 3. Same as that, staring into the distance, nearly convinced me there was something in the corner of the room once.

They all have their own quirks. You’re right about the moving them, I must get used to that. I’d fall asleep, and then wake them, looking back on it, its obvious suicidal stuff though in so far as giving bad habits.

They do indeed, and whilst we try to be fair, we treat them quite differently really in many ways, as suits their particular foibles.
They are a great laugh all the same.

1 Like

Ps I bet that staring into the distance made your hair stand on end. It’s well creepy.

1 Like

The first time shook the shit in me, I won’t lie. A bit of frantic googling explained all.

1 Like

This thread has very quickly morphed into the Fathers Issues thread. I’ve been recently diagnosed as sterile so please spare a thought for the likes of myself who will most likely forever remain without child.

15 Likes

I think they said you were an important man.

1 Like

Ah horsebox, I just love hearing about how the dads on the forum deal with the mundane trivialities of life.

1 Like

No TV for under 3s. Main cause of night terrors according to some lady on the radio a few weeks ago. Their brains can’t process the likes of tom and jerry beating the shite out of each other.

5 Likes

Informative

That was the year of the Munich bother. Which
Was most important ? I inclined
To lose my faith in Ballyrush and Gortin
Till Homer’s ghost came whispering to my mind.
He said : I made the Iliad from such
A local row. Gods make their own importance.

2 Likes

Agree rating.

+1

If I put on Donald Duck, guaranteed my 4 year old will be jumping on the chair shouting at the screen. It sends him bat-shit crazy.

There’s an american study that verified what you’re saying @corner_back. For the development of proper social and emotional skills during early brain development years, babies need direct interactions with parents and minders (so if your child-minder is acting the shit behind your back and plonking your kids in front of a video, they’re far more likely to develop anti-social behaviour).

2 Likes

His dead right and I’d go even further with the fucking ipads and iphones a lot of people give there kids so they’ll shut them up for awhile.

I read something relatively recently that suggested those games like angrybirds, plants & zombies pure shite etc, if played too often at that young age can lead to serious problems with concentration in creche, school and social situations if used too often.

IMO kids shouln’t be left near a phone or ipad until they are at least 8 or 9. Go out and climb trees, get covered in dirt running around a park, let them break a few windows in your house with a sliotar or football fair better.

3 Likes

Six hours sleep for a man, seven for a woman, eight for a fool.

5 Likes