So, who's striking today? Which Side are You On

I can’t wait to inherit the farm down in bogland. And the mattress with all the money in it. The old fool probably hasn’t converted any of it to Euros yet.

I am often told by locals that my grandfathers family were highly respected in parish and were one of the best employers around and often put a lad on the run up for the night. They played their part.

[quote=“The Runt”]Huh?

He inherited it and added on bits and pieces over time.[/quote]

so that 33% is very misleading then…since the initial price which you say was back in the day that land’s value has increased tenfold…now in recent times its down 33% from its peak price…but still way up from original price…

[quote=“myboyblue”]Tis only the bad land you’d sell for that sort of money back in the day.

Farmers provide a service few others would be capable of doing in their absence, they are to be lauded. Any lad would walk into a 40k civil service job and keep it ticking over, how many civil servants could walk onto a farm and keeping it going?[/quote]

IOTM surely…that is one of the most stupid comments ever on this site…

Not really. He had factored the sale of 2 sites a year into his income for the past 7/8 years, now the value of the land has dropped his annual income has dropped.

You flatter me…:smiley:

Not at all scumpot, most farmers now are hughly educated in office work ffrom college and filling out forms for Gov handouts, especially that which is carried out by CO’s and SO’s. However I’m not sure many CO’s or SO’s could calve a cow.

They must have got good deals up in the North. Looks like they fancy another trip up:

24/11/2009 - 16:18:54
Public-sector workers will stage a second nationwide strike on December 3, it has been confirmed.

The action will go ahead if renewed talks with the Government on plans to cut the public pay bill by 1.3bn fail to produce an agreement, unions have said.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/new-nationwide-strike-confirmed-for-december-3-435640.html#ixzz0XnLAPjBI

Embarrassing stuff from the pubic sector.

Mortifying…

To be honest, were I a Civil Servant I would be seething with my Unions right about now, another days pay lost, and an inevitable pay cut to come down the line. It’ll be a cold Christmas for most of them.

I honestly expect the unions to face a backlash from their own members over this. Especially the lower paid ones who can’t afford two days unpaid in the lead up to christmas.

I know people who refused to man the pickets today and rightly so, unions have a place in this country but they should be used to benifit the workers which these strikes do not.

Eo’s would start off in the low 30’s mark too…honestly now what work do you think civil service do ?..you constantly tar them all the same across the board…so what , in your opinion, is the crossover between the day to day maintenance of a software system for Revenue,to interviewing foreigners applying for work permits,(or being actively involved in setting up the guidelines that qualifies them for one) to arranging and anaylsing the results of a nationwide Census,to the work of internal auditors in departments?..how do you compare all that and say a farmer could do it easily?..surely you see how stupid it is yourself ?..

An Irish Times survey last week showed that 70 per cent of private sector worker have had no pay cut at all. Yet they buried it in the middle of an article. This is a fact and anecdotally I know of at least two friends who are getting bonuses this christmas.
In contrast 100 per cent of public sector workers have taken a pay cut and are almost sure to take another.
This bullshite about public sector pay being more surely doesn’t take into account that a larger number of private sector jobs are unskilled while a load of them are young lads working in shops etc.

The fact that the media are ‘private sector’ and therefore inherently biased is having a major bearing on this whole row.

[quote=“gola”]An Irish Times survey last week showed that 70 per cent of private sector worker have had no pay cut at all. Yet they buried it in the middle of an article. This is a fact and anecdotally I know of at least two friends who are getting bonuses this christmas.
In contrast 100 per cent of public sector workers have taken a pay cut and are almost sure to take another.
This bullshite about public sector pay being more surely doesn’t take into account that a larger number of private sector jobs are unskilled while a load of them are young lads working in shops etc.

The fact that the media are ‘private sector’ and therefore inherently biased is having a major bearing on this whole row.[/quote]

Good point well made.

Half an hour to get to speed with the systems would most like suffice, give or take a tea break. I know civil servants scumpot, I know what the work it, what the payscales are. I’m not expecting some poor aul lad out of Ag College to analyse the Census results mind you.

I deserve my bonusSIZE=1.[/SIZE]

[quote=“gola”]An Irish Times survey last week showed that 70 per cent of private sector worker have had no pay cut at all. Yet they buried it in the middle of an article. This is a fact and anecdotally I know of at least two friends who are getting bonuses this christmas.

The fact that the media are ‘private sector’ and therefore inherently biased is having a major bearing on this whole row.[/quote]

But surely the job security in a public sector job counts for an awful lot?

As do I flano. :thumbsup:

I see no reason to ram the lower scale civil servants any longer mind you.

1-0:p