So, who's striking today? Which Side are You On

Accounts assistant, not an accountant. I deliberately picked a relatively low skilled job as picking out an “accountant” is too broad. 4 to 5 years is too long but you get the point, the learning curve isn’t that long and the pay trails off.

You’re talking about an accounts assistant

A proper Chartered Accountant could be doing a huge variety of jobs.

An auditor or what?

They were like fuck. You shouldn’t need a masters to teach primary and second level.

Ya lets say an auditor. After training maybe somewhere else, comes in at maybe 32-36k would he? At that stage 26-28 years old normally.

Where would he be after 20 years service.lets assume he is not completely driven by money or piwer or going alone or whatever.

It’s a poor comparison anyways because a trainee accountant is poorly paid for a relatively short period. In due course

An average accountant will earn as much as a good guard

An above average accountant will earn as much as a long standing highly promoted guard

An excellent accountant could earn many multiples of the top ranking guards

I’d say a more telling comparison would be if you averaged out their earnings over 30 years

Ya thats my thinking and i have no problen with that. Being a top top accountant takes unbelievable work. For most people tou simply give up your life.

And it also matters when you value your money. Many lads don’t give a fuck after they have family as long as they can provide. Others go the other way. Is it more important to earn relatively alot in your 20/30’s or 40’s or 50’s?

An averaged out comparision wpuld be good. Without really having a clue of the actual amount, i would be very surprised if your accountant that i describe all things being even is not pulling in 70k a year after 20 years.

It’s widely accepted and proved by any number of studies that primary is the most important level of all. I think it’s fantastic that we incentivise good teaching.
I’m also a firm believer that money spent on education saves a country tonnes in the long run. Teaching is one of the hardest jobs around and should be paid well imo.
On the flip side, I think there should be much better scope for fucking out shit/lazy teachers.

6 Likes

With 5 + years experience post qualification 60 k anyways in dublin. If moved into a management position prob add 20k + to that. But basically uncapped if you were good at your job and in an area of demand

1 Like

Could not agree more. Irish primary teachers are superbly trained. Its a pity they are not allowed do their job completely and so hamstrung by other things. They blow away people anywhere they go be it UK, USA or OZ

I wouldn’t overestimate how hard these fellas would need to work. A partner in one of the big firms yeah has probably sold their soul for 70/80 hours a week but could be earning massive money (7 figs)

On the other hand, a very well qualified and experienced accountant who moved into a financial controller position with a mid sized company probably delegates most of his work and whilst would have a lot of responsibility certainly wouldn’t be working himself to the bone most of the time. And would pull down 120k handy enough

So fuck all sympathy for the few years of slave labor they put in

1 Like

From anecdotal experience, teachers from the free state get a reality check if they go to the UK or O6 with the extra workload they have in schools over there (for lesser pay).

Catholic schools in the North set the barometer at the minute in European education.

I always enjoy reading the level of seethe in the Orange Telegraph every time education comes up.

1 Like

Ludicrous statement. Demean the value of education and educators and your society won’t be long going downhill.

1 Like

Oirish teachers are shit.

1 Like

Funny seeing a guy who got demoted and sent to Cork recently talking shit here

1 Like

You should have stayed in the utopian society down under if you think that surely? Your kids might end up on the terraces of SRFC instead of down the tennis/yacht club

Grammar school system served UK well until they dismantled it and dragged kids down to lowest common denominator. Opposite of what they do to high performance in sport. Bright kid from disadvantaged background gets robbed of shot at social mobility. Is it still in NI

International tables prove it

Dùirt bean liom go ndùirt bean leì!

You constantly berate kev for his anecdotal evidence but you expect us to believe yours???* I thought you dealt in facts?

*sure everyone knows not to trust a nordie…

I think it’s still there to a certain extent but being phased out. I’m only really good for soundbites on this subject, mate.

I do think it’s a hoot the way some people stand up for teachers though. Doctors and nurses are, from my outside-looking-in view of the free state, the public sector workers who are by far the worst screwed by the state.

Teachers have it handy in the 26 I feel, my ex gf was a teacher (ended badly, it left me brittle but I’ve came out of stronger - I’m a tough guy). Basically what seems to be the problem is that a lot of junior teachers do not have permanency or guaranteed hours in their role.

What seems to have caused this though is a supply v demand situation, because teaching is largely viewed as a cushy number, good salary, low working hours and one third of the year as a holiday - loads of people go for that job. This in turn drives entry requirements up for a job that you don’t really need to be the brightest for - primary school teaching is idiot level stuff. I think the whole system in Ireland is fucked up, the teachers get too much too easily which attracts a lot of chancers rather than people with the genuine skills and passion for the work. I would imagine most teachers take the job up because it’s decent pay with loads of perks. When you convert it to a per hour rate, they must be up there with one of the highest paid professions in the country.

Personally I would cut the holidays for teachers should be required to provide other education services in the summer - lets see if it’s still that desirable a job when its working hours are in line with that of a real job. Give them 4 or 5 weeks off in the year like most other professions.