Social Media "Influencers"

Fact is that GSs are significant less diverse than “normal” schools.

They are open to everyone.

They prioritise native families which leaves non natives out in the cold.

I’m assuming you’ve a bunch of data to show how they’re doing this?

I’m fairly sure they don’t prioritise kids of alumni like the private schools do.

Order of Priority in Admission to the College
Pupils of Willow Park 1st Year
Brothers of existing pupils and past pupils
Sons of staff members of a minimum of four years standing and nephews/grand-
4. nephews of members of the Spiritan Community
5 Beneficiaries of the Blackrock College Bursary Programme

6 Sons of past pupils of the College
7 Grandsons of past-pupils of the College

8 By Lottery

It’s the admission policies of Gaelscoils. Native language speaking families are prioritised.

The data is from the Department of Education.

Irish-speaking schools far less likely to have overseas students

A Department of Education analysis of school enrolment for 2015/2016 shows non-Irish nationals accounted for 10.6 per cent of pupils in primary education. By contrast, among all-Irish primary schools, this fell to 1.6 per cent. A similar pattern is repeated at second level.

Again it’s curious how the number of GS has increased since Ireland became a country of immigration.

It is eerily similar to the White Flight phenomenon of public schools in the US.

Yeah they do. That’s second on the list.

Again why are you bringing up private schools? Are you saying that GS are wrong?

No, they don’t. They are open to everyone. You anti Irish tyrants are why numbers are lower

There are far far more sons of alumni of Blackrock College in school there than there are sons of native Irish speakers in the local free GS.

The unfortunate thing for Blackrock alumni is that free third level education in the 90s was the start of the end of their dominance of the professions which led to the growth of GAA in the rubby heartland and has led to rubby clubs renting out their pitches to GAA clubs to use.

Public schools were “open” to everyone in the US but it did not stop the phenomenon of white flight.

The proof is in the pudding. Bringing children into the education system is a challenge that GS and the parents who send their children there decide to turn their backs on. They are putting their children in schools significantly less diverse. Like a time warp back to the 1960s.

Why do you constantly bring up Blackrock College with me (along with Kilmacud Crokes)? There is a serious want in you.

I don’t agree with schools prioritising children of past pupils myself.

The reality is that private schools exist all over the world (yes even in Finland, despite the claims).

The GS thing is pretty unique to Ireland. It seems to be a way for parents to avoid the problems of integration for their children.

Could you show me the section there where it says they priorities ‘natives’? It wasn’t obvious at first glance

Because you’re talking nonsense about diversity that you don’t really believe when you have no issue with a far less diverse and publically funded private school system.

Your problem is with a new Ireland where kids and parents value Irish and it is having its greatest resurgence in a century.

You also can no longer look down your nose at GAA players and supporters.

You’re windmilling away… giving your children the gift of being bilingual is brilliant parenting. It’s huge for brain development. Keeping the Irish language alive is an added bonus. Everyone is free to do it but haters gonna hate :person_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

It’s the entrance requirements.

First priority goes to native speaking families for a lot of these schools.

The fact is that GS are significantly less diverse. Why have they grown so much in the last 20 years? I’m not saying it’s all down to parents wanting to avoid the issues of immigration, the opportunities being in the club affords is very tempting.

It’s pretty disgraceful that so many are leaving the heavy lifting to the “regular” system. Ireland always had an excellent primary school system.

So you keep saying this but so far haven’t shown anything to back it up rather than saying a version of the same thing 4 different ways.

Giving them the gift of seeing a diverse society is also a gift.

Walling them off from other nationalities is pretty vile.

Again nobody can answer why the Irish language lobby don’t just push for regular schools to become more like GS. They push for hundreds of translator jobs in Brussels and demand that people have to study Irish until 18 but they make little clubs for themselves away from everyone else. Curious that.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

They’re not locked in a dungeon. Loads of different nationalities playing hurling and soccer.

Go to any admission policy of a GS.

Here’s an example

https://gaelscoileanna.scoilnet.ie/blog/files/2021/09/Polasai_Iontrala_2020.pdf

Gaelscoil Éanna will give priority in admission to students from Irish speaking families where the school is satisfied that the student has attained a level of fluency in the Irish language, and where such fluency would be likely to regress if the student were not admitted to an Irish medium school.

It isn’t even the admission policies that’s the problem, it’s the very fact that they have these little educational clubs for themselves. Why are they there when primary school teachers are supposed to have an incredibly high standard of Irish?

Long term we have seen the demand for these schools grow, at the very same time that migration has increased into Ireland. And the proof is in the pudding, GS significantly less diverse than the regular system. I posted the table above that showed precisely zero “non Irish” in GS in Ballymun where as the regular schools were as high as the mid 20s. One section is doing the heavy lifting in integrating people, another is turning its back.

Tiger Woods played golf, racism was solved.