Spiders and Insects

I nearly walked straight into this lad in my brotherinlaws door way. About 20mm from outside of leg to outside of leg

Top of bider

Underside of bider

1 Like

A weaver. Great lad to have about the place.

1 Like

He/she/zee had a noble web erected.

Shanbally a while back - disgusting looking creature

That top boy dangerous?
Closely related to the sham I posted I reckon

Candy-back. Completely harmless. Lives in plants and leafy vegetation.

3 Likes

Thank you he’s fierce looking

Vaguely remember screaming like a stuck pig after being stung by a wasp as a little chisler and being a tad embarrassed about my public show of unmanliness. Got stung today for the first time since and I forgive my 5 year old self. I was out for a run and the fucker got through my considerable head of hair and stung me in the scalp. I’m guessing it’s probably one of the better places to get stung. I completed my 5km jog like a true warrior.

2 Likes

My first memory is of being stung by a bee while feeding the swans with granny. I didn’t cry at all I was very brave.

1 Like

Any ideas? It’s like something that blew up from the Sahara.

Looks like a young male Downey Emerald. The body is a bit fat looking so maybe not, although it may have shriveled to that shape as it dried out.

They are rare enough. You’d catch a lovely salmon with that lad if he was a bit older.

3 Likes

Are insects a passing interest for you or is it a field (ha!) you work in?

2 things - any indication of size and have you a shot of its back, easier to identify if so.

Flight season of Downy peaks in June and is over by July, plus it has a really restricted range here - not to rule out foreign origin given recent winds. That said I’m not even sure it’s a dragonfly - aside from a superficial resemblance of the anal appendages I can’t see anything else in that picture to suggest so. It is, however, in a jock and maybe some deformation has happened after drying out alright.

1 Like

I nearly fell off a roof because of a giant dragonfly a few summers back. The fecker was about 3 inches long and was hovering over me head

1 Like

Over an inch long. It’s in the bin now so no further photos. It could have been there for months. It was under a sofa I moved.

At least now yourself and the wife can relate to each other!

7 Likes

Boom!! Did I mention the dragonfly was very very flaccid as ‘‘twas very cold

2 Likes

Was always interested in the natural world. You never stop learning, a great interest to tip away at.

3 Likes

I snared rabbits as a young lad. A chap I went to school with used hook me up with snares and traps and I caught the world of nocturnal creatures. We dug foxes, smoked burrows and raided nests. A proper childhood. That murderous past has yielded to a more scholarly approach to our surroundings and I try to accommodate rather than obliterate.

He’s in jail now for manslaughter. It’s a fine line.

7 Likes