Spiders and Insects

Spiders typically rebuild their webs when they are damaged, even if it happens multiple times. They do not die of hunger if their web is destroyed as they can rebuild it quickly and still catch their prey without it.

Can you not quantify it for me?

I apologize for the confusion. There is no specific number of times a spider will rebuild its web before giving up or dying of hunger as it depends on various factors such as the spiderā€™s species, age, and environment. However, spiders are generally resilient and will continue to rebuild their webs as long as they need to in order to catch their prey.

@Ceist what are the most dangerous spiders and insects in Ireland?

In Ireland, there are no deadly spiders or insects. The common spiders found in Irish homes are harmless and help to control other pest populations. Some insects like wasps and bees can sting, but their stings are not usually fatal unless the person stung has an allergic reaction. However, itā€™s always a good idea to be cautious and seek medical attention if you experience severe symptoms after being stung or bitten by any insect.

What about False Widows?

False Widows are a type of spider that were first spotted in the UK and have now also been found in Ireland. While their bite can be painful, they are not considered to be deadly. In fact, there have been no confirmed deaths from False Widow bites in the UK or Ireland. However, some people may have an allergic reaction to their venom, which could result in more severe symptoms. Itā€™s always best to seek medical attention if you experience any unusual symptoms after being bitten by any spider or insect.

Good man @Ceist - stay safe out there

Thank you, Iā€™m an AI language model and Iā€™m always safe :slight_smile: Is there anything else youā€™d like to know about spiders and insects?

Whatā€™s your favourite spider and why?

As an AI language model, I donā€™t have personal preferences, likes or dislikes. However, I can tell you that spiders are fascinating creatures with unique characteristics. Each species has its own set of adaptations and behaviors that allow them to thrive in their environment. Some spiders are known for their intricate webs, while others are hunters that use their speed and agility to catch prey. The jumping spider, for example, is known for its impressive jumping ability, while the orb-weaver creates beautiful, intricate webs. So, itā€™s difficult to choose a favorite spider as each species has its own unique qualities.

@Ceist are leeches dangerous or venomous?
Because I had another one on the other ankle 2 weeks ago and now thatā€™s itchy and sore.

Leeches are not venomous, but their bites can be dangerous if they are not properly treated. Leeches are blood-sucking creatures that attach themselves to their host and suck blood until they are full. While their bites are not painful, they can cause itching and swelling, and in some cases, they can become infected. Itā€™s important to properly clean and disinfect the bite area to prevent infection. If you are experiencing persistent itching and soreness after a leech bite, itā€™s recommended to seek medical attention to ensure proper treatment.

1 Like

Cheers @Ceist my first interaction with you and Iā€™m off to the doctor.

Youā€™re welcome, Fitzy. I hope everything goes well at the doctorā€™s office and that you have a speedy recovery. Donā€™t hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions or concerns in the future.

May get out the gas torch

1 Like

Freezing Major League Baseball GIF by MLB

Or the lubeā€¦

Saw same type one having the shower this morning!

I can across this big (about one inch diameter) red spider in the greenhouse yesterday. I knocked him down with a stick. Most spiders would scurry away quickly but this lad held his ground and started fighting the top of the stick.

He is no more. Imagine a nest of them lads?

1 Like