Sporting Collapses

@Sidney, @GeoffreyBoycott, @Rocko, @Others - in game collapses/capitulations like that intrigue me. How can you go from being so dominant to being such an inept rabble? Can you think of other examples? Not just a team getting routed all ends up throughout but where they were competing well at the very least or even on top like in this case. Please set up a separate thread to discuss/debate. I’m not referring to one team upping it and coming back at another side either. That was all about Liverpool falling apart for me.

I only saw the second half and I find this talk of Liverpool dominance in the first half scarcely believable.

Galway v Kilkenny 2015.
Dublin v Donegal 2014.

1 Like

Sevilla were playing like they thought all they had to do was turn up. Then they turned it on for about 15 minutes and game over

Dublin capitulation to Donegal after destroying them first 20 minutes

1 Like

If you’re referring to Spurs mate, if we move away from point scoring, smart alec comments and historical stereotypes, you insightfully raised the root causes of the late season collapse a few weeks before it even started.

No, it’s something that genuinely interests me and you three mentioned the collapse so I tagged you. Can one mistake (Moreno’s weak attempt to tackle before being nutmegged in the lead up to the first goal) prompt a complete psychological collapse throughout the rest of the team? How can you explain it?

Jews are shape shifting lizards ?

1 Like

New Zealand v France 1999 and eh, AC Milan v Liverpool 2005.

Momentum changer. the first goal was such a gift that heads dropped. But shocking the way they seemed to give up.

Tipp v Limerick 1981

Crystal Palace - Liverpool game after Gerrard slip

United 4 all draw with Everton 2012

Dublin Cork League semi final last year

Happens all the time to extent there is a phrase to describe it

And 1996

True

Or 1992, 1996 and 2007 (twice)

1 Like

It can and it does. You go across any sport you care to choose and you’ll find any number of mistakes (even after they are made) not really changing score in a game or a season but change the dynamic and trigger a collapse.

• Botham’s 149 at Headingley in 1981, Australia still only needed to knock off 120 odd runs to win.
  • Steve Davis missing easy frame ball yellow to go 9-0 up on Taylor, but still held a handy 8-1 lead.
  • Johnny Dooley’s goal from the 21 yard free, Limerick still had a useful lead after dominating from off.

As @balbec said - momentum changers.

3 Likes

We love Tipp.

The biggest one is Milan in 2005.

England v Australia in Adelaide 2006/07

1 Like

Meath v Wexford 2008.
Jana Novotna v Steffi Graf