Stag destination

Half day the Friday, out of town and on the bus/ train by 1pm is key. Slow start, get to know a few of the “newbies” or “outsiders” i.e. who to avoid or will be a bit of craic outside of the usual protagonists. You’ll be all checked in and sitting in the boozer before 5pm, pace picks up, first night will take care of itself and allegiances are made.

Up early the Saturday, a few cans for the early risers before the early house/ local boozer which you’ll have agreed the early knock in from the night before. Would then have a pub arranged up for the half 12 kick off/ racing which will be beside a bookies/ attached. Half the others will start to surface by this stage throughout the next two hours (dying or never drinking again). You’ll be well set up for a bit of soakage now for the day in this pub, all ready to go for the 3pm accumulators. By this stage the other (dying or never drinking again) crowd will be going off paintballing/ fishing/ bubble football or something else wacky - so you’ll be back to the early risers and the day two’ers who are only landing in (tell them fuck all about the night before). Pints and winners galore and you’ll be ready for the vodka’s by the time the rest of the entourage return. Time to move on and get the base for the evening before falling into whatever nightclub is sorted.

Sunday wake up, source breakfast roll, cans for bus/ train home and into town for a few. Might get a good afternoon kick off and then a few tunes in Cassidys for the dogged few who have stuck it out

8 Likes

Apart from wasting time in and out of the bookies that sounds like a grand weekend.

I’d say they’d be fairly happy Dr Doom and Gloom isn’t coming tbf.

@Malarkey top three pubs in Kilkenny for Guinness. This stag is so organised I’ll hardly have 5 minutes to make my own decisions, but if I get a chance to breakaway where will I head?

O’Riadas should be hit anyway. You can drop into Cleeres while you are down that neck of the woods.

1 Like

No problem.

1a Ó Riada’s (Parliament Street): all but unique interior and atmosphere, with excellent Guinness.

1b Cleere’s (Parliament Street): another singular place, with a fine pint of Guinness.

2a Lenehan’s (Barrack Street): perhaps the best pint of Guinness in town and a really lovely spot.

2b Tynan’s (John’s Bridge): Guinness not as good as days of yore but still an experience if you like beautiful pubs.

If you have a couple of hours away from the madding crowd, I would start in Lenehan’s and end up in Cleere’s/Ó Riada’s. Or vice versa. Tynan’s is about equidistant. But you are talking about scarcely a 5m walk in its entirety.

Another spot worth seeing, if you are in Kilkenny, is the Hole in the Wall, which is unique. Just off High Street. If coming from the Castle end, take the left hand side of High Street and keep an eye to your left as you walk on past The Book Centre. The passageway is a few seconds further.

Other reliable pints of Guinness:

Bollard’s (Kieran Street – improved a lot in recent months, due to new proprietors, and right in centre of town).

JB Burke’s (top of John Street, opposite end to John’s Bridge – near Lenehan’s and across the road from O’Gorman’s).

Pat Carroll’s (Ballybought Street – across the road from Lenehan’s).

Doherty’s (Friary Street – just up off High Street, with turn immediately after The Book Centre).

O’Gorman’s (top of John Street, opposite end to John’s Bridge – near Lenehan’s and across the road from JB Burke’s).

The Harp Bar (High Street – right hand side, coming from Castle end).

The Nore Bar (Greensbridge – terrific pint altogether and same owner as Lenehan’s).

24 Likes

Top man

1 Like

The @Limericks should take note,that’s how you give a pub guide.

8 Likes

Don’t make me bump my Limerick pubs post

1 Like

I’ll probably end up in Matt the Millers for the night, seems to be what generally happens in Kilkenny

No bother at all. A pleasure, in fact.

As you may know, Kilkenny is remarkably compact. The only one of those pubs a little out of the way is The Nore Bar. Even so, that spot is a 5m walk from the bottom of Parliament Street, where pubs 1a and 1b lie.

1 Like

Fine in the context of a stag. The Hibernian Hotel is also a nice spot, one with surprisingly good Guinness.

I’d much prefer some of the places listed above, but sure you’ve young lads trying to get their leg over who wouldn’t be of the same mind as me

I’ll go way on my own at some stage if nessecary and hit a couple

3 Likes

Tip off to The Hole in the Wall with a couple of the lads… Evening time might be best as you might squeeze in.

How tight is this hole in the wall?

1 Like

:smiley:

The original old bar might fit 10 or so good sized lads, just about.

There’s a spill over to a modern area upstairs but that’s meh.

Ask the bar man for the history of the place.

Jaysus I’m gasping

1 Like

Kilkenny must be easily the nicest big town in Ireland. Doesn’t even seem to have that ‘rough’ of an element. The townies on the Kilkenny team are pure roasters. I’d say Sligo is next nicest but has a huge ‘townie’ element

3 Likes

Ennis is great. Dungarvan and Lismore are both a lovely spot, I think. I have always liked Wexford Town. Cahir, Cashel and Kinsale are other fine spots.

I agree on Sligo. Super place to go. I love the sound of the Garravogue in the centre.

How many pubs are on the go in KK city now… 50 plus?