Train to Brighton 1 hour
Trying to find a straight pub in Brighton 3 hours

Enjoy

10 Likes

Cheers mate

Homophobe

1 Like

whats homophobic about that?

Is that an invite to all here ? I’m IN !!!

Going to limerick this weekend… woop fucking woop

Any suggestions?

Not going isn’t an option unfortunately

1 Like

Ah jaysus … You’ll have all the Limerick simpletons on here giving you a run down of every pub and chipper in the city.

Just end the night in Costellos and you’ll be fine.

1 Like

don’t touch anything or anyone in Costelloes. The people are crustier than the furniture.

Nancys is the big spot in Limerick, dont miss it.

Aye… that and the ones who went to college down there…

Costelloes is a bit of fun and the type of place a stag could have a bit of craic in peace but i wouldnt bring a bunch of rural lads there… dingy little club upstairs full of every walk of life and everything from metal, dance, hip hop is played. Other than that Limerick has a good few decent boozers that will cater to your needs. hit me up via PM when you’re still confused after the 300/400 odd posts you get in reply.

I haven’t been down there in about 10 years so looking for an update tbh…

Dicon!

I detest that place but @Julio_Geordio, @caulifloweredneanderthal and @backinatracksuit all love it.

you could do worse than just staying on or around Denmark Street and then heading up dicon at the end of the night

it’s a cunt of a place.

I was going to just bump this for you as one I prepared earlier but it’s actually a bit out of date now. I’ve updated it a bit below.

Pubs wise;

There’s a bit of quirk to Limerick with a lot of the better bars at one end of the town and a bit of a gap then to the late bar district. Only a five minute walk in reality but a connecting pub would clean up IMO. Anyway.
I’m rating the main ones out of three.

Area 1. Between Mallow Street & Thomas Street. This is the area where you’d start off on a normal night, if you are day drinking (which I assume you will be) this might not be where to start, but we’ll get to that later. You want to be here from 7/8 until it’s loud music time.

***“Tom Collins” is Limericks version of Keoghs/Toners. Gets very busy later in the night so I’d hit it early. A must visit on any trip to Limerick. Keeps it’s three star status.

***Mickey Martins is kind of a hipster place, but with actual hipsters as opposed to the modern fake kind. It can depend on the night sometimes the whole place is stoned off their face and it can be messy enough, but I like it. Good choice of beers etc. Still the same as ever. Remains three star

***Myles Breens bit out of the way from the rest of them. Grand bar. Good place if you’re watching a match or something. Still the same as ever. Remains three star

***Right next door to Breens is a Flannerys . Real old style boozer. Lovely spot for early in the night. Still the same as ever. Remains three star

***Another Flannerys Jerry Flannerys, (there are many, many Flannerys pubs in Limerick, at least 6) but this one has a giant rugby ball sticking out the side of it so you can’t miss it. It’s not the worst spot in fairness. Nice smoking area out the back where they have live music on most nights. Avoid if there is a rugby match on. Full of 50 year old men in Munster jerseys. New addition to the back of a nightclub style place, wouldn’t be a bad shout to have everyone in here for 10/11 o’clock before they get too messy. you could drink in the front bar for a while, then watch live music in the smoking area which is usually excellent and then to the late/bar nightclub at the back. Close to Tom Collins. I’ve moved it from a 2 to a 3 star.

The commercial. New to the scene, nice boozer, but nothing really going on in there. Maybe one for early beers.

The White house. Formerly a three star but they’ve sucked the life out of the place with it’s recent modernization. Even two stars might be being generous to it now. Still an ok pub, but nothing special anymore. Che Guevara must be rolling in his grave thinking of what they did to his favourite Limerick boozer.
101. New to the list. This is a bar aimed more at women really a lot of cocktails etc, but there does be some daycent birds in there if some of the group are looking for that. Not very stag friendly, they are alright on the door but I’ve seen them turn away groups of young lads and no runners etc. Very nice smoking area out the back. An absolute disaster of a place to get a pint.
The Still House is a sports bar, if there’s some soccer or something ye want to watch this wouldn’t be a bad shout. Up from a one star.
They finally reopened a connecting bar between the two areas. It used to be called Bourkes I’m actually not sure what name it goes by these days. They’ve kept the original inside so its nice and dingy, but it’s been quiet the few times I was there and it’s a bit meh.
McGettigans. Part of a chain of international bars. Not my cup of tea at all, but it’s been busy enough the last few times I was in there. Kind of modern, without being fancy. It’s a bit of a nothing place.
Tom & Jerrys, a grand bar I go there the odd time myself, but not really a place you’d bring a group of lads.
Glen Tavern more of a food place than anything. Nice pub, but unsuitable for a stag.
Paddy Frawleys is just a side bar to a restaurant. Avoid.

There’s a bit of a break then to Area 2. Late Bars/Loud Music. I won’t be giving anything a three star because I despise the loud music type places, but you’ve got to go there don’t you. I actually haven’t been here in yonks so I can’t add much.

Old Quarter
Live Music, nice smoking area. Easy enough get a drink.
Cobble Stone Joes
Live Music. Tight bar, can be hard to get a drink in there.
Nancys. If your coming to Limerick it’s probably a place that will be recommended to you. Nice smoking area. Disaster to get a pint. Always way too packed. I hate the place, but I can see why others like it. Generally peoples last stop before the icon.
Big Flannerys (Not actually it’s name, it’s just Flannerys but it’s er big).
Kind of like Flannerys in Dublin. A last stop before the night club kind of place. Loud music, can be very busy. It’s a giant Meh from me.
The Red Hen
Limericks attempt at a posh bar. It’s not really very posh though (prices are a bit steeper and they serve cocktails which is about as fancy as you’d get) and is an okayish place.

Phil Flannerys. There is yet another Flannerys in the area, it’s a real old man pub and a grand boozer, but not what you’d want at that time of night.
Clohesseys. Peter’s new place. There’s been a few bars tried and failed in this location. It’s not great layout wise and doesn’t do much for me. I’d give it a miss.
The Lone Wolf (or something like that). Used to be Molly’s and was the best bar in Limerick when I was in college. Absolutely shit and empty the last time I was there. Reopened as Molly’s doing well again from what I hear but a young crowd
Chaplins
Been a while since I was there, but I heard its a big druggie bar now? Other posters may confirm. Bit of a kip but not as bad as I’d heard to be fair.
The Office. Actually haven’t been in there in an age. No idea what it’s like these days, must go there soon as I remember it as an alright place. Was in there one night about a year ago and it was an absolute cesspit. If lads are running out of coke it might be an option. Down to a one star from two. Avoid.

Night clubs
The Library
I’ve been going here the last few times I was forced into a nightclub. It’s better than the alternatives and has live music until late. Kind of a Whelan’s type place. Can have hard house trance on some nights though as well so it very much depends. :grin:
Smyths/The Icon
The Icon is like a shit Coppers. Everyone goes there but no one knows why. If a few of your mates are on the pull though this is probably the only option.
Smyths is the bar leading into the icon. The Icon can be cunts at the door even if your sober. If ye are going there your as well off having a few pints in Smyths before hitting the nightclub, you can go in through the bar and they won’t stop you. It’s actually not too bad a bar and always has a decent band playing.

The other nightclubs are Crush 87 (kids) and Angel Lane (nobody). Avoid at all costs.

***Costellos. For some reason I forgot to include the only nightclub I ever go to in Limerick on the original list. It’s an absolute shit hole and certainly not everybody’s cup of tea. They only sell cans in the upstairs and the last time I was there it was only cans of Heineken :joy: But the music is banging and there’s no hassle in there (probably because everyone is stoned off their faces) and there’s never any hassle getting in.

Early drinking.
There are a couple of places outside of the two areas (slightly, Limerick is fairly handy navigate on foot).
***The Locke. If you are boozing early and it’s a nice day then the Locke Bar is Limericks answer to the Barge. A lovely pub and can’t wait to sit on the banks of the Shannon and down a few pints there in the summer. They do decent grub in there as well (at least they used to).
***Sextons
A nice pub which you’d have to yourself early in the day. Nice smoking area with a pool table in it out the back. There’ll be nothing happening there, but you’d pass away a few hours happily enough having the craic. Closed :sob:

There’s been a couple of other new additions.

***Mother Macs which is a nice craft beer bar. Great selection and nice small little boozer.

Pharmacia
I don’t know what this place is supposed to be kind of a craft beer and cocktail bar. But it’s not really either. It’s grand but it’s a bit out of the way and not worth the effort.
The Wickham Tap.
As you may have gathered from the above I’m not opposed to hipster bars, but this place is fucking ridiculous. It’s a Galway bay brewery pub and I was looking forward to it opening but it’s almost a parody of a hipster bar. They put a load of really uncomfortable old style school chairs in there. I presume it was to make it look cool, but it’s actually just really uncomfortable and you can’t stand in there either as there isn’t much space.
House. Owned by house in Dublin, pretentious, over priced shit hole. Some nice birds in there though. They’ve opened a nightclub under there called Amber, which to be fair to it isn’t bad. Be hard to get a stag party in there though.

2 Likes

I don’t think he could do worse :joy:

3 Likes

Has reverted to Hogan’s

What’s the betting the Count ends up in Nancy’s, Flannerys and D’Icon

1 Like

Well, that’s that neatly tidied up.