Starting a Gaa club

No, thereā€™s another under age club alright. Durlas Og

There is a junior club there. Thurles Fennellys.

All young lads up to the age of 16 play with Durlas og. At 17 they then join whatever club. Sars generally pick up the best talent.

Sars 2nd team is intermediate and have lost 2 county finals in recent years.

There really should be 2 senior clubs in the town.

No football team in the town at all. If they bothered they would be senior easily.

Sars will have two junior A teams, an intermediate team (probably favourites to win it) and a senior team next year. They have a lot of numbers but they must be doing a great job regardless in there

What happens if they meet?

They play each other

Seems a bit open to hijinx

Both teams submit a panel list at the start of the championship. You can only play for the panel you are named on. Sixmilebridge had two intermediate teams this year I think.

Would SMB be a big place? Some going to have a senior team and two intermediate teams

I get that itā€™s more one team not doing great the other needs a win so they lie down for them

Probably have around 4k living in the catchment area. Hurling only and they are a fairly well run club. Their first inter side would be one of the better intermediate sides in Clare and would consistently be making county semi finals in recent times.

They have been fairly dominant and consistent at underage level but havenā€™t really produced a quality intercounty hurler since Niall Gilligan. Morey and Shanahan are solid but have their limitations.

1 Like

Nemo play themselves regular enough at JB

Thurles Sarsfields having a Senior, Intermediate and two Junior A teams is admirable but a bit ridiculous all the same. Are Thurles Fennellys terrible altogether, surely theyā€™d be a better attraction for lads playing Junior A

The Bridge rob players from all over east Clare.

I agree, but its really the Gaa who should lead in situations like that

Nah, the Fennellys bring through very few of their own so tend to be far more blow ins so the Club togetherness just ainā€™t there.

Tbf to Sars, no matter the ability lads get to hurl and are made to feel part of the bigger picture. Success drives that I suppose but they definitely run the Collective Show quiet well.

Fennellys didnā€™t field this year, Thurles Gaels played in the Junior A hurling championship. I think they are Fennellys and Rahealty Kickhams joined.
Thurles Crokes used to be a football club in Thurles.
Redser & Paul Shelly won a County Junior B with Fennellys a few years back.

Is there a parish rule in tipp

Yes

KK do this at county level and we get slated for it

Any player from a hurling or football only club is able to play the other code for a different team as an isolated player, Ballyea for example had a number of lads from west Clare football areas playing for them last year. Nobody is denied the opportunity to play both codes at a high level if they want to.