Staycation - Limerick's hard on for anything Kerry

Some stunning scenery around the Nire Valley - Only a short two hour walk as some of the group were lateā€¦some savage views.

1 Like

I presume ye have a few ideas of things to do but just in case:

1. the Greenway as @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy says. Lovely views over to the Mournes.

2. Carlingford Adventure Centre - they have kayaking and water based activities bang in town https://carlingfordadventure.com/

Further out of town (i.e. not a walk) theyā€™ve the Skypark with Ziplines and shit like that.

1. youā€™re about twenty minutes drive to cheap booze at Sainsburys, Newry. Probably around the same to First and Last offie in Jonesborough, which is probably a more adventurous drive.

2. Thereā€™s a dolphin called Fin hanging around Greenore at the moment (about 10 mins drive). You could also get the ferry from there to Greencastle and youā€™re onto the Mournes then. They do moonlight ferry crossings if you want to win brownie points with the Mrs and youā€™ve someone to mind the kids.
    Thereā€™s a nice new cafe At Home at the School house in Greenore. Good people running it - mainly coffee and treats. You could continue on from Greenore towards Ballagan. Thereā€™s usually a few goats and horses grazing at side of road and a place where you can pull in the car and there are picnic benches and you can look over to the 06. There is a nice scenic drive that would bring you onto Templetown Beach.

3. the Four Seasons hotel has a pool. In case the weather is shit. Itā€™s not a great pool but you used to be able to book pay as you go.

2 Likes

A fantastic part of the world.

1 Like

My review of busy, busy, busy West Clare. The weather was good and the people travelled.

Vaughans in Liscannor.
Parking difficult. Half an hour waiting for a table. No prices on the menu. Is that legal? Chowder was very good, traditional style, if a little salty for my liking. ā‚¬35 for chowder, scampi and a bottle of Coors Lite. Tasty enough.

Doolin.
Was hoping it might be a quiet spot but it was absolutely packed solid. Pier, car park, overflow car park in the field, all packed solid.

Monks in Ballyvaughan.
Parking, no problem. Two hours waiting for a table or about 45mins for a takeway fish & chip, which we opted for and ate it comfortably sitting on the wall outside sipping pints. Prices here upfront and reasonable.

Linnanes in New Quay.
Another parking nightmare. Booking was available, which we didnā€™t know about, so we had to opt for the food van parked out the front. Prices were reasonable but the waiting time of over an hour for a chowder and some chicken nuggets was a bit much. The chowder was that orangy, creamy style that I donā€™t like. Very little fish in it either. Prices were reasonable but I wouldnā€™t be rushing back.

Keatings of Kilbaha is probably the best chowder Iā€™ve had in Clare if not country wide. With Mylesā€™ Creek in KIlkee a close second. Although I wasnā€™t venturing that far south this time round.

Sounds like Clare alright.
Decent in places, the odd one close to top class, but in the end it disappoints.

You like Chowder.

Ah, just when Iā€™m out and about. Never get it at home and the stuff in the shops isnā€™t great.

1 Like

1 Like

Itā€™s all about being the least worst fellaā€¦

2 Likes

Be grand if you get on with the 2 boys. If you dontā€¦

Savage again. Weā€™re bringing bikes for the green way alright. Weā€™ve also booked a day kayaking and rock climbing in the adventure centre. Templetown beach has been pencilled in. Havenā€™t booked skypark yet but will be doing so.

2 Likes

I was there myself last week, it was jammed then too. I stopped in Lisdoonvarna for grub and the lad running the place was telling me one of the companies running the boats from Doolin to Inisheer carried 2500 people out to the island last Sunday, and the other company would have brought similar. Its a lovely day trip to be fair.

I do indeed. Theyā€™re great lads.

Ah youā€™re away in a hack so. Be a great few days.

The sisters will need to bitch about someone however, donā€™t be afraid to hang one of the lads out

We would operate a rotating fall guy system generally.

4 Likes

The rock climbing might be out at Skypark. Itā€™s all the one crowd anyway.

1 Like

This guy fucks.

Yea, the people who owned all the cars must have been somewhere. Looked like mostly backpackers heading out on the boats when I was there though.

Lovely to go out and experience the remoteness of the Islands (with 5000 others).

Thatā€™s why you go to Inis Maan.