Staycation - Limerick's hard on for anything Kerry

I wouldn’t say no!

That’s interesting, I’d have bet Cork 2 and Kerry at 3

Limerick doing very well

1 Like

And all the away fans coming to Thomond

2 Likes

Just home from a day on the Ballybunion Rivera. It’s hard to beat it on days like today, sun high in the sky & smashing waves keeping us older children entertained. Twud warm the heart to see the amount of young lads & lassies pucking around in there various bits of Limerick gear. A 10/10 day all told!

11 Likes

I was there myself for a few hours, and pucking around a ball. Great day.

The waves were absolutely savage. I’ve never seen the life guards so vigilant. The daughter had serious craic on the bodyboard

3 Likes

I had a few days there myself last week. A large number of us down from north of the border, but I couldn’t believe the amount of English over. I assume it’s because it’s a handy way to have family reunions without being cooped up in a hotel, but id say 25% of guests there were English.

People come to Adare to stare at the traffic jams and breath in the exhaust fumes.

1 Like

Dublin to Kenmare on a Friday morning for a wedding.

Assume I would be better off going down the m9 and cut across at Mallow rather than M7?

The m9 is the Waterford road…do you mean the m8 and exit at mitchelstown…if so it’s a complete much of a muchness vs going to the city…better road IMO go to cork city and out through macroom

The route suggested by @gilgamboa is a better road alright especially with the Macroom bypass done. Think it was extended lately to Ballyvourney?

The road from Mitchelstown to Mallow is lethal enough in parts.

A shocking road. The only thing about going into cork is the new layout at the dunkettle is a mess at the moment. Depending what time you’re hitting that you could be delayed.

I was 20 minutes trying to get through Dunkettle from the M8 at midday last Monday. Mostly caused by cunts driving trucks trying to cut in.

You’d want your wits about you coming from the east, the lanes aren’t well signed yet and lads realise they’re in the wrong lane and take q chance. Myself and the missus neearly got cleaned out going up to wilton recently

Limerick-charleville-kanturk

Had a grand week of it last week in Clonakilty; best of weather and the kids loved the house and facilities in the Clonakilty Park Hotel. 850 for five nights for a 4 bedroom house was a grand deal.

Roaster heaven for the older folks with country music every night in the hotel bar, including yer man from Crystal Swing. I avoided that thankfully bar the first night when the late hour meant we ate in the hotel bar while a one man band serenaded the assembled pensioners with Joe Dolan and John Denver covers.

Headed to Baltimore one of the days and took the boat to Sherkin Island where I enjoyed 3 lovely pints in The Jolly Rodger looking out over Roaringwater Bay and it 25 degrees. Heavenly. Ate in a couple of places outside the town every evening like the Mountain House in Ardfield, Monk’s Lane in Timoleague and Dunmore House. Monk’s Lane was outstanding. Out to Inchydoney then Friday which was packed. All in all, would recommend.

18 Likes

Its way better these days. There was a stretch out side Shanballymore which was so narrow that trucks couldnt pass each other. All that has been widened.

Sounds like a nice break. You got lucky with the weather too.

1 Like

Are any of them eating houses suitable for two unruly toddlers (with their parents)? I’m down in Clonakilty soon for a few nights as well. It’s about 15 or so years since I was there. Sounds like you’d a great break with your family in the area.

I had but the weather made it. Everywhere I ate were very accommodating with the kids and we threw them a phone to watch cartoons so as not to disturb others. Monks Lane in Timoleague had a good atmosphere (it was a Thursday evening when we went there) so even the odd roar of the kids was barely audible. Have them hungry going to eat and then once they get the food there won’t be a bother. There was a grand Indian in the town as well which went above and beyond for us as there wasn’t much room.

The Dunmore House also had other families there and is also a hotel so room to let them off and run around in the hallways outside the bar, where they serve the food.

The Mountain House is a bit quieter and is more of a local bar with restaurant attached. There is an area out the back where the kids can run around if the weather is good. But if you’re having a drink before eating be wary of getting some looks if the kids are doing wreck.

It’s a quiet enough town during the week; went to Scannels one night and and about 20 or so younger people out in the smoking area but only a few in the bar. DeBarras was the other place I frequented, which is a bit twee but a decent pint. They had live music playing out the back there but were charging 20 euro for entry to that which I was non plussed with. Mickey Finns on the corner was busy for the Ireland match but quiet otherwise. There was a pub up the way which seemed to have a few chav types in (Casey’s I think), which I avoided.

2 Likes

I’ve stayed in DeBarras a few times with friends in bands. They’ve accommodation upstairs for musicians playing there. Ray from there is a lovely lad. Let me pull my own pint at 3am. I think when I went up a few more times after that, he pulled the plug on me alright

1 Like