Stephen Kenny - He's in the RA

I supported what he was trying to do at the start - it was worth a go to see if someone could get us playing out from the back and playing in patterns etc but the issues that were glaringly obvious from the start have never been fixed… like the 2 in the midfield diamond he tried, killing the space for the only attacking threat at full back we had. Allowing the midfield to drift late in games and constantly getting caught because the back 4/5 were terrified to play a high line allowing the opposing midfield a fucking acre to run into … these things have been going on for 2 years and he’s never rectified them.

2 Likes

Carsley with Mick McCarthy would make good sense to me.

1 Like

At least Carsely has coached professional players in a real league

Think Ireland want to look at the Lpool template rather than City, need to play at a tempo and with plenty of vertical passes.

Lpool end up with plent of possession once theyve overpowered the opponent.

we don’t have the pace for it. the four wide players require huge pace and energy and the two centre halves need to be lightening to recover

1 Like

True, just of the progressive styles, its the one fits Ireland and get the crowd up, but you’re right, we don’t.

1 Like

:thinking:

we just need to set up as a solely counter attacking team. get ogbenne and obafemi playing off the shoulder, get everyone else in a low block. Get them isolated and running the channels and see what we can do.

Spock did it once against Portugal where he isolated Spud Connolly on Pepe and he fucking mauled him only he wouldn’t score in a whorehouse with an unlimited fund

1 Like

Back to the Big Mick tactics of 2 banks of 4 with 2 pacey lads up front

1 Like

mccarthy in his first stint was very progressive and some of our football under him was the best we played. His second stint was thoroughly depressing as it wasn’t even that coordinated. we sat in and hoped for set pieces. We didn’t even counter attack. He was left with a ball of shit and the situation was farcical because of the incompetence above him, but that’s what it was

1 Like

His 2002 WC tactics were that 2 banks of 4 and 2 speedsters up front. He talked about it in his book at the time. It worked well for the squad he had as it made us hard to break down and he had 11 lads comfortable enough with the ball at the their feet (Kilbane aside maybe)

2 Likes

Any Euros beaten coaches that people think would be interesting? Not getting a Luis Enrique but anyone else?

Aussie coach would be great if he could be got.

Chris Coleman? Stephen Gerard? Lampard if he’s booted out of Everton?

Portugal fella?

I’d love to see us go back to a 442 and possibly pairing the good Wolves centreback in midfield with Cullen.

Cullen plays in a 2 at Burnley.

1 Like

but we weren’t a purely counterattacking side… that team could play as well. We don’t have near the quality of that 2002 team now. We cannot play. Duff and Robbie Keane weren’t just speedsters, they were top premier league players.

I never said they were just counterattacking!

i said we should be and you compared it to Big Micks tactics. I don’t think 2 banks of 4 is feasible at international level anyway because your 2 in midfield are constantly outnumbered. and against a 3 up front you’re pretty much weakened everywhere.

5-3-2 is probably optimal for us at the moment. If we had a quality 10 we could probably make a lot of other things work but we don’t.

We are miserable enough without looking at that cunt!

2 Likes

what would be wrong with a Herve Renard type character coming in? What a coup that would be

1 Like

Surely seems strange to give it to another unproven manager

I wonder if England would try to tempt Kenny away if they decide to replace Southgate, or if Southgate resigns.