Stone Roses: 20th Anniversary

No. One other person hasn’t heard of them. Sean Gallagher.

Half an hour to get the fucking tickets but finally I got them.

Website just keeps crashing for me. :wub:

Yeah same happened to me, 20 times easily. It was a fucking nightmare getting them.

3rd show added now on Sunday night, also confirmed that they will be playing T in the Park apparently.

150,000 tickets sold out in 14 minutes

Bullshit!

They’ll be headlining Oxygen

This business of The Byrds comparison has always struck me as very lazy. A few jangly guitars = The Byrds. Bollocks. Maybe if you only ever heard Waterfall on a lotto ad. The stuff that fused dance music like Fools Gold, One Love etc sounds nothing like The Byrds nor does the earlier stuff for that matter like So Young, Tell Me or Garage Flower in general with Brown´s raw punky voice. Horrible reductionism.

Some summer of 2012 ahead between the Euros and this jolly. :pint:

Ah come on. That’s not it. The debut Roses album is very like The Notorious Byrd Brothers album in particular. It doesn’t rip them off or anything but there is a clear influence. That melodolic, poppy, yet undercurrent of darkness sound is evident in both.

I really like the debut Roses albums by the way. But the original point was that it wasn’t groundbreaking and I don’t think it was, in terms of doing something which wasn’t done before. There are mighty fine songs on there, the opener and closer are as good as on any album there is.

I refer to the debut album as that was where I made the initial comparison. The latter stuff, and into Brown’s solo career I never mentioned in terms of Byrds influence.

There is nothing wrong with being influenced by the Byrds by the way.

To the ordinary punter of that generation what they were doing farmer was new and original, definitely.

I bet you only noticed any similarities well after it came out and some hack you admire mentioned it. :rolleyes:

Jesus, you’re very bitter.

Nothing wrong with being influenced by The Byrds but I don´t think they were to a huge extent. I think the Roses were very much of their time and place and a “melodolic, poppy, yet undercurrent of darkness sound” could be as easily attributed to The Smiths and it might seem more appropriate considering the evolution of their sound when you bear in mind that the “debut” album came out post-Smiths, after being together for five years and having already recorded an unreleased album.

Anyway, it´s not where it´s from it´s where it´s at.

Any chance of an Ian Brown swagger smiley?

If the Smiths hadn’t Morrissey as their lead singer you may well be on to something.

Morrissey for me brought the Smiths into a new lyrical territory which set them apart from most other bands. While some of the music is obviously superb, he gave them that sort of extra edge.

Brown wouldn’t have had the same impact lyrically for me but then again that’s my taste.

The thing that really marked out the Roses was their musicianship. Reni was a ridiculously brilliant drummer and Mani an excellent bass player who marked out his own distinctive sound, which is very rare for a bass player. Squire obviously was a fantastically skilled guitarist but lost the plot far too much with his self indulgent fret wanking on the second album and in later projects like the turgid Seahorses. He butchered Champagne Supernova at Knebworth and Noel Gallagher should never have let him near the stage. Brown was clearly the main man as his solo career showed.

The popular narrative goes that the Stone Roses album was one of the greatest of all time while Second Coming was shit. Of course neither are true. The first album is without a doubt overrated. Four brilliant songs IMO in I Wanna Be Adored, Waterfall, This Is The One and I Am The Resurrection. She Bangs The Drums and Made Of Stone are decent. The rest I wouldn’t bother listening to again.

Second Coming has some cracking tunes. Tightrope is ridiculously good. But as I said too much over long self indulgent crap.

It’s the b-sides and non album singles where the Roses probably did their best work and their most groundbreaking. To be honest I’d say that’s why the album constantly ranks so high in polls. There’s probably a load of people going around thinking that Fool’s Gold, One Love, Elephant Stone and Mersey Paradise were on the album or forgetting that they weren’t. If they had been it would have been a truly great album.

I’d certainly consider the Roses at their best to have been groundbreaking. With the Happy Mondays they straddled a mid point between indie and the acid house dance culture of which Manchester was the centre of in the late 80’s. Just an incredibly brilliant period of music. You can draw a line really from Joy Division all the way up to Oasis. In terms of attitude there were few if any bands more influential and Ian Brown obviously became the template for which Liam Gallagher modelled himself on. In fact the attitude thing is what people really remember more than anything I think.

So at their best the Roses were right up there. There just weren’t quite enough brilliant moments to put them up there with the true greats. They’d be more than capable of pulling off a really good Slane though.

The last minute and a bit of this is amazing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7szkhv77rE

Anybody looking for tickets?

Anyone for the barrister?

Anyone buying or selling a barrister there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzdozEHrz28

:guns:

What are you on about? :lol:

Friday July 13th for Slane was apparently leaked earlier today. Not too keen on getting in and out of there again. Playing Botanic Gardens in Belfast the following night. Anybody ever been to a gig there, what’s the capacity etc?

Seriously, anybody want a ticket?