Suicide

Sorry to hear @feck_it

A 13-year old first year Wexford CBS student died by suicide last night. :cry:

Terrible couple of days here. 3 young men have taken their own lives within 4 days of each other.

Rip

Yes, I had heard 2. 3 now? Jesus.
And the first of them would have been best friends with another lad who we lost a few months back from the loveliest family you’d ever meet. Brutal.

I would have known the third socially as I would have met him in the pub from time to time and exchanged pleasantries, I met the second at my nephews 21st in August. The first would have been a nephew of an ex work colleague of my father’s,
. Awfully sad

Fucking hell. That’s horrendous. Rip

RIP
Why is this happening in clusters?

I dont have an answer for that. But there is a history of clusters elsewhere. e.g. South Wales.

1 Like

Midleton has a cluster, maybe 4 I think, around 2003/4. One family lost two boys. I recall a few back home in Callan at one stage.

I took a course on suicide prevention/awareness a few years back. One of the big things they advised was that if there was a death by suicide in the area, then that funeral should be kept low key without any grand gestures from clubs that the young person might have been involved in.

It sounded a bit callous but the logic was that the big displays could appear like hero worship and act as almost an incentive to other young people in the area who were feeling low. They said there was studies to back that up. When you couple it with the fact the majority of suicides are by people who are reacting to a single life event (as opposed to a long term clinical depression), it can be a dangerous mix.

15 Likes

There was a cluster around @Monkey_Allen place around 2000. And it was lads who were young and friends and also just older lads as well. I’d have known a couple of them and even a second cousin of mine in 05 from that area of the same age committed suicide. It’s hard to comprehend and when it happens to a few people makes it worse

Think there were a few in Roscrea a few years back.

Malcom Gladwells book the Tipping Point has a chapter on the clustering of suicides.

Was Kevin Keating one of them?

He was alright. That was May 2000.

It’s a tough one to get your head around in the immediate aftermath. You ask yourself is there anything I could have done to make this different or were there any warning signs in the days that led up to the day it happened. The first day is just shock. The loss really hits home in the 2nd day following the death once you see their body in the coffin. It can be a long and emotionally draining few days leading up to the funeral but the only thing you can do is stick together and try and be there for each other in the immediate future. It say when my uncle died a few weeks ago I got about 12 hours sleep between the Monday night and Thursday.

6 Likes

The one thought that struck me was that this was in their heads and they were going to do it one way or another. There are now three families for whom Christmas will be effected for probably a generation.
I guess what I’m trying to say is that regardless of time of the year, whatever is going on in their heads just makes them determined to carry it out and no outside influence is going to deter them

When my uncle was found he had letters placed nearby him for family members. He’s the type of guy that would have taken 3 or 4 attempts to get it right. He was a carpenter by trade and in the letter he left for the wife he had a list made out of everyone that owed him money and that she would get X amount etc. He didn’t wake up on that morning and decide he was going to do it. I’d say his mind was made up a few days before.

He had been to the GP on a previous Tuesday and he was given tablets but was told they usually take 3 or 4 weeks to kick in. He was found dead 6 days later.

I was out with a group last night and a former clare hurler from the bridge joined us. He talked about a couple of recent suicides in their area. He was very shook after Joe

1 Like