Suicide

This says an awful lot more about your character than hers.

4 Likes

+1. Sheā€™s someoneā€™s sister/mother/ whatever. She did a shitty thing , something Iā€™d never think of doing, but she canā€™t even recall it herself. She clearly had some issues, but the extent of the public shaming seems to be a huge factor in her deciding to take her own life, which is very, very sad.

Jon Ronson wrote about how public shaming can be used in both positive and negative ways. The case of Lindsey Stone always sticks in my mind: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/technology/2015/feb/21/internet-shaming-lindsey-stone-jon-ronson

3 Likes

Jon Ronsons book on public shaming is a very interesting read.
When the social media mob turn on someone it can be frightening what abuse can get thrown at someone.

FOAD

Tell me about it, mate.

9 Likes

She didnā€™t really even to that. She had a desperate drunken foul mouthed rant. It wasnā€™t pleasant, but she didnā€™t coldly defraud anyone, or materially damage them. I see the ballaghadereen solicitor and his family are meanwhile happily snouting the trough in peace and comfort, and prominent Dublin footballers walk away after vicious unprovoked face smashing assaults.
You could shove a beer glass in someoneā€™s face and walk free and anonymous.
Itā€™s utterly fucked up.
That woman clearly needed help. That was obvious from watching thirty seconds of the video. She instead got opprobrium and harsh justice, and now sheā€™s dead.

5 Likes

Article from two days ago:

Today:

Thatā€™s tragic stuff there. R.I.P. Frank

RIP Frank.

All these ultra / long distance runners are complete weirdos tho.

3 Likes

he had a lot of dodgy results

Always in a hurry, in life and death.

He even took a short cut to death.

5 Likes

Cork camogie players too for that matter

2 Likes

Frank was only codding himself.

R. I. P.

I wonder was Simone Burns related to Anna Burns, the novelist?

The mother was on Tubridyā€™s radio show a few months back and seemed like a very interesting woman, they were opening some exhibition to Robert in Meath or somewhere and she was over for it. Sad story. Tragedy seems to stalk the Kennedyā€™s

1 Like

Itā€™s when I read about cases like this that people like Bressie really grind on me. Overstates and even lies about his suffering so that he can sell books and give talks and take the coin.

10 Likes

How do you know he is lying though

Does suffering have to be affirmed with suicide before people can talk about it?

The only people who can talk about suicide are those who havenā€™t taken their own life

2 Likes

Fucking hell, Bressie hasnā€™t killed himself so he shouldnā€™t talk about depression? Unbelievable

1 Like