Suicide

I think that was shown a long time ago ā€¦ have you forgotten your Buddhist learning already?

I know of 2 people who sadly took their lives in recent weeks

Not friends or relations or anything close to me but if say the lockdown has made life tough on people

5 Likes

RIP mate.

One colleague for me, and another couple of people I more knew of to nod and say hello to. All during the lockdown. Itā€™s had an awful impact on mental health in this country.

1 Like

Iā€™m merely reaffirming it mate.

Iā€™m moving towards Taoism these days.

I wouldnā€™t bother with any of that zen taoism Buddhist stuff. When you achieve enlightenment you realise that there is really nothing to be said about any subject since there really are no subjects and even if there were words would be hopelessly inadequate to explain or describe them in any meaningful way.
Which is great except it ruins you as a poster.

2 Likes

I just found out something appalling. A young enough man in the prime of his life who ran more than 100 marathons ( in great times) Iā€™m shook to the core.

6 Likes

RIP.

Fucking awful to hear.

2 Likes

Very sorry to hear that.

I appreciate this is still sinking for you but Iā€™ve heard of this kind of thing before. A guy like that is addicted to unreal levels of adrenaline/ dopamine/ seratonin/ testosterone/ all those kinds of hormones that are usually running through his system and if that stops or those huge hormone levels drop then people like that can get incredibly depressed very quickly. Thereā€™s also the other thing whereby people like that could be running from something dark or even from themselves, or trying to fill a hole or they can also be very focused on just themselves and find it difficult to build deep or meaningful relationships with others.

Physical activity obviously plays a very important part in mental health but itā€™s very dangerous to let it take over your entire mental health strategy. The Celts used to talk about a man is a stool with three legs, physical, spiritual and creative and the legs have to be balanced. Brezzieā€™s ā€œrun the pain awayā€ plan is a very dangerous strategy to my mind.

Sorry for your loss and sorry for the long message before the dust has even settled.

14 Likes

Well said.

I blame Brezzie too.

3 Likes

Lad I knew through work did the deed last night.

A rough year for him, had a young family, came out, moved in with a new fellaā€¦

Only had 3 days off all year, employers need to wake up, this year more than ever, to the toll their expectations are putting on people. these are not normal times, they should not be treated as if they are.

13 Likes

Sorry to hear that.

RIP

1 Like

Sorry to hear that.

The finality of suicide is fucking awful. No second chance or a brighter day.

1 Like

Very sorry to hear that @count_of_monte_crist

Following up on my post above about very active athletic men committing suicide, just before I flew out to Poland in October, sitting on the runway, I had a wee final flick through my Facebook and saw a very unexpected post. Back when I was in Korea I was mates with a Canadian couple who seemed like ideal perfect people. The guy was a very good body-builder but a chilled out hippy too and a real nice polite friendly Canadian type. They went back to Canada and got married and had a few kids. The Facebook post was from the wife, ā€œIā€™m just glad that Bobā€™s pain is overā€. I didnā€™t know Bob was sick. Turned out he killed himself. He was a great great guy, cool as fuck.

Sometimes weā€™re a very negative, cynical bunch here on TFK but Iā€™m very frightened of the North American approach of always smiling at everything, everything always being great and nice and amazing. Or maybe it makes no difference.

Then I heard a story last week of a suicide of a 30 year old in County Louth who committed suicide. He had gone missing for 2 weeks and then the family found his body behind the house somewhere. A friendā€™s cousin-in-law. My friend said that the family knew vaguely that heā€™d been going through a difficult patch mental health wise for about a year but didnā€™t know too much about it so they were very shocked. All the village were out lining the streets of the village for the funeral.

I donā€™t know if itā€™s the pandemic but I didnā€™t hear so many of these stories before this year. Maybe Iā€™m just getting older.

3 Likes

Iā€™m sorry but to only take 3 days holiday in a year. No job worth that.

1 Like

Just hearing about a case in Wexford of a guy committing suicide who would have been well involved in soccer and Gaa and his family too involved. Leaves behind a child who just had her first Christmas. @Bandage Iā€™m sure would know him and the family well. Always sad to hear, but especially the time of year too.

2 Likes

May he RIP. No man dedicating his life to the upholding of law and order in this country should be driven to this.

God rest him.

7 Likes

What was the story regarding the harassment?

The comments suggest GOD and her cronies but I donā€™t have anything more than that and wouldnā€™t swear it as fact either given the source.

I despise Gemma more than most but I donā€™t think tweeting stuff like that is helpful to anybody, using suicide as a vindication of anything without being aware of the whole story is just wrong

5 Likes