Suicide

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.

Correlation does not equal causation.

etc.

The poverty level for a family of 4 in the US is $35,000 income pa, at or slightly above this level people of low income get food stamps and free healthcare (Medicaid). 200% of poverty level is $70k pa and 400% is $140K.

I would suggest that these people are not starving, and the causes of depression have other factors, specifically the ones I mentioned a few posts above. The food article is garbage, a healthy diet is quite possible on low expenditure, certainly lower than a fast food diet. Brown rice and other grains, legumes, eggs, nuts and soy based products like tofu are dirt cheap in the US. You see very few fat Asians compared to other races because they eat mainly grains and vegetables and very little meat. There are a lot of poor Asians in the US but very few of them are obese and I would hazard a guess that few suffer from depression.

The answer to the depression epidemic is education, which unfortunately many in low income populations have no interest in, which is tragic.

You cancer stat is also bogus and misleading. It depends entirely on the type of cancer, for many cancers like breast cancer, there is no difference between rich and poor. The cancers that have a difference, and it can be very significant, are cancers with “behavioral risk factors”, caused by smoking, poor diet and excessive drinking. These are again lifestyle choices, why the fuck would anyone smoke in this day and age given what we know about lung cancer? But low income people still continue to smoke. Why is that? Is it simply because they are poor?

Try and stay on topic, which is the very serious issue of depression and suicide. It deserves more than your standard Marxist ideology view of everything.

1 Like

Mentioned it several times on here but my daughter has done two pre school years aged 3 and 4. They do 15 or 20 mins of excercises inside every day. She would often be doing push ups and planks and star jumps ( or child like efforts at them) when she would be home in evening.

Its not part of any formal curriculum but just an interested chikdcare worker. They have done a load on basics of nutrition as well.

Simple, cheap and effective

Just needs the will to do it

3 Likes

Facts.

Something you and your truth-free worldview have a proven record of hating.

I work with a pre school and we work off the Precision nutrition model.
Literally all we are doing half the time is teaching them to slow down. Put your sandwich or fork down after every bite. Some evidence that this can reduce calorie intake by 25% when eating slow is mastered.

I think free play is by far the biggest issue though. The stop of free play is much more damaging than physically. The decision making and resilience built thru it is taken away from kids.

I had fucking murder with a parent a few weeks ago over her 13 yr old. I gave him the job of actually putting the following session together. There is huge learning in that. He didn’t do it. Grand. Go again. He still didn’t do it. I said it’s not good enough but left it. Then at the end he asked for boxing for Conditioning which he love’s. I said no we will do something else and if he had made the program he would have been able to program what he wanted for himself.
Got a phone call next day with mother going mad cos he cried all the way home and I was too harsh on him and I shouldn’t be getting him to write programs.:see_no_evil::see_no_evil::see_no_evil:
The reason he is with me is to toughen up and get fit so he can go back to rugby where he was being “bullied”. I’M beginning to wonder now.

8 Likes

An adult making a 13 year old cry is disgusting behavior

1 Like

You could only imagine the crap teachers must deal with.

5 Likes

Being a over 35 year old man on the dating scene in recent years means alot of chats with teachers.
A total fucking pain in the hole I can imagine. They are extremely precious in some cases.

1 Like

I know ya. Mother is some cunt to facilitate thag

An adult calorie counting while a pre school kid eats a sandwich is beyond ridiculous.

2 Likes

:open_mouth:

Nope. Not when you have three year old kids admitted to hospital simply for diet control because they weigh seven and a half stone.

that’s the exception mate and let the qualified professionals deal with it

That’s not what is happening or was said

The whole Childhood Obesity thing is being overstated to some degree. If it’s such a thing in Ireland, where are all the fat kids? There are no obese kids in either of my kids class of 30. There are very few in the whole school as far as I can see. I also worked coaching sport in Primary Schools about 10 years ago and again there were fuck all obese kids. Definitely less than one per class.

Educating kids and parents on nutrition and exercise is going on in various forms for a long time and it’s working. The hysterical child obesity stuff being directed at parents is often just another attempt to scare money out of them.

You’ll see an awful lot of fat kids in DEIS schools, like you it wouldn’t be a big problem in the schools my own kids go to but in disadvantaged areas it’s genuinely frightening

2 Likes

The school Mrs Mac used to teach (she’s a teacher, cc @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy) in, in North Kildare (cc @mickee321) was full of fat kids. They’d regularly turn up in the morning munching big breakfast rolls and drinking 500ml cans of those weird energy drinks.

3 Likes

Apparently you should be able to see all the ribs on a child.

Nail on head

This is all obviously the fault of the teachers. Cc @Nembo_Kid

How could it be the fault of teachers? They are on holidays more often than they are with the children

3 Likes