Summer Transfer Window 2014

What’s so funny?

A club with a great tradition, in one of Europe’s top leagues and with Champions League football?

I don’t think they’ll get him but it is hardly outrageous if he went.

Serious statement of intent from the great Arsene Wenger so far this window.

[QUOTE=“farmerinthecity, post: 984570, member: 24”]What’s so funny?

A club with a great tradition, in one of Europe’s top leagues and with Champions League football?

I don’t think they’ll get him but it is hardly outrageous if he went.[/QUOTE]
He’s in the top ten best players in the world in my opinion and players like that rarely move to England, let alone the 4th or 5th best team in England

4th or 5th best? I wouldn’t look at it like that. Liverpool are in the Champions League next season and that means everything.

Liverpool bought Torres and Suarez over the last ten years. Now I am not saying that either player was the best in the world at the time but both would have had a lot of credibility.

I am not saying that Liverpool wouldn’t have any problem getting him but it I don’t think it is as humerous as you are making out.

Look at Ozil joining Arsenal last year for example.

[QUOTE=“farmerinthecity, post: 984598, member: 24”]4th or 5th best? I wouldn’t look at it like that. Liverpool are in the Champions League next season and that means everything.

Liverpool bought Torres and Suarez over the last ten years. Now I am not saying that either player was the best in the world at the time but both would have had a lot of credibility.

I am not saying that Liverpool wouldn’t have any problem getting him but it I don’t think it is as humerous as you are making out.

Look at Ozil joining Arsenal last year for example.[/QUOTE]
Yes, 4th or 5th best now IMO, behind Arsenal, Chelsea and Man City, maybe Man Utd by the time the league starts. Comparing Torres and Suarez then t0 Reus now is ridiculous. Also Arsenal are a lot more attractive prospect than Liverpool, just ask Alexis Sanchez

[QUOTE=“farmerinthecity, post: 984570, member: 24”]What’s so funny?

I don’t think they’ll get him but it is hardly outrageous if he went.[/QUOTE]
The Premier League is Europe’s top league, and the proof of that is that no major Premier League star had a good World Cup* - it’s such a demanding league that they were all too tired.

*With the exception of King Luis.

How is it ridiculous? Suarez was after playing a key part in getting his country to the World Cup semi final and had a great scoring record in Holland. Torres was one of the most talked about strikers in Europe and had performed well for Spain in the 2006 World Cup.

So that was them then. Reus now is a cracking player who has lit up Europe for a least 2 seasons. He hasn’t done anything on the international stage yet - I accept that he has been injured.

And anyway I wasn’t comparing them directly. I am trying to show that there is evidence there to suggest Liverpool have bought top players in the past and that it is not outrageous to think that they can’t again.

[QUOTE=“farmerinthecity, post: 984611, member: 24”]How is it ridiculous? Suarez was after playing a key part in getting his country to the World Cup semi final and had a great scoring record in Holland. Torres was one of the most talked about strikers in Europe and had performed well for Spain in the 2006 World Cup.

So that was them then. Reus now is a cracking player who has lit up Europe for a least 2 seasons. He hasn’t done anything on the international stage yet - I accept that he has been injured.

And anyway I wasn’t comparing them directly. I am trying to show that there is evidence there to suggest Liverpool have bought top players in the past and that it is not outrageous to think that they can’t again.[/QUOTE]

Torres was a Liverpool fan and there were question marks over the temperament of Suarez, funnily enough.

[QUOTE=“farmerinthecity, post: 984611, member: 24”]How is it ridiculous? Suarez was after playing a key part in getting his country to the World Cup semi final and had a great scoring record in Holland. Torres was one of the most talked about strikers in Europe and had performed well for Spain in the 2006 World Cup.

And anyway I wasn’t comparing them directly. I am trying to show that there is evidence there to suggest Liverpool have bought top players in the past and that it is not outrageous to think that they can’t again.[/QUOTE]
Great scoring record in Holland, along with Jozy Altidore and Afonso Alves. The very fact that he was playing in Holland made it easier for English teams to sign him. Reus has been one of the best players in the champions league the last two years. In the two seasons before joining Liverpool, Torres scored 13 and 14 goals respectively in the league for Atletico.

What’s your point on Torres?

Schweinsteiger is apparently a United fan but you don’t see him joining.

2 bites later there are even bigger question marks about Suarez but Barcelona still shelled out big bucks to buy him.

I love the way you bring the stats out on Torres but give a blanket ‘one of the best players’ on Reus. You also seem to completely ignore the brilliance of Suarez at the 2010 World Cup.

Anyway I have said my piece.

[QUOTE=“farmerinthecity, post: 984617, member: 24”]I love the way you bring the stats out on Torres but give a blanket ‘one of the best players’ on Reus. You also seem to completely ignore the brilliance of Suarez at the 2010 World Cup.

Anyway I have said my piece.[/QUOTE]

No one else wanted to sign the horrible cunt. He’s improved, not matured since and Barca can be confident he won’t offend any of the local racists in Spain.

[QUOTE=“farmerinthecity, post: 984617, member: 24”]I love the way you bring the stats out on Torres but give a blanket ‘one of the best players’ on Reus. You also seem to completely ignore the brilliance of Suarez at the 2010 World Cup.

Anyway I have said my piece.[/QUOTE]
Because Torres is a striker and Reus is a winger and I’d say Reus probably has as many or more goals than Torres anyway for the last two seasons compared to Torres’ last two seasons at Atletico. And Forlan was Uruguay’s main man at that world cup not Suarez

I like him but is he really in the top ten players in the world? On potential, maybe. I don’t think he is currently ahead of:

Messi
Ronaldo
Zlatan
Neuer
Lahm
Schweinsteiger
Robben
Pirlo
Falcao
Iniesta
Suarez
J Rodriguez

Then you have the likes of
Benzema,
Modric
Bale
Y Touré
Neymar
Ribery
Van Persie
Lewandowski
who could all claim to be better than him currently.

And then there’s a load of young players like
Pogba
Gotze
Varane
Gundogan
who are on similar enough trajectories.

And I’m sure I’ve left out lots of great players.

[QUOTE=“Rocko, post: 984644, member: 1”]I like him but is he really in the top ten players in the world? On potential, maybe. I don’t think he is currently ahead of:

Messi
Ronaldo
Zlatan
Neuer
Lahm
Schweinsteiger
Robben
Pirlo
Falcao
Iniesta
Suarez
J Rodriguez

Benzema,
Modric
Bale
Y Touré
Neymar
Ribery
Van Persie
Lewandowski

Pogba
Gotze
Varane
Gundogan

And I’m sure I’ve left out lots of great players.[/QUOTE]
If you take only the last two years, off of the first list, he is better than Zlatan, Schweinsteiger, Pirlo, Falcao, Rodriguez. Its hard to know with Suarez because he hasn’t played in the champions league. None of the players on your second or third lists are as good as him apart from maybe Bale and Neymar who I still think he is better than

I stopped reading after this

What has Zlatan done in big games to make him better than Reus over the last two years

+1

[QUOTE=“Rocko, post: 984644, member: 1”]I like him but is he really in the top ten players in the world? On potential, maybe. I don’t think he is currently ahead of:

Messi
Ronaldo
Zlatan
Neuer
Lahm
Schweinsteiger
Robben
Pirlo
Falcao
Iniesta
Suarez
J Rodriguez

Benzema,
Modric
Bale
Y Touré
Neymar
Ribery
Van Persie
Lewandowski

Pogba
Gotze
Varane
Gundogan

And I’m sure I’ve left out lots of great players.[/QUOTE]

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Where’s Totti the spitter?

Two goals in a World Cup playoff for a start.